Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2009 Quest- no idea where to start Forums > > 2009 Quest- no idea where to start 2009 Quest- no idea where to start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM
2009 Quest
2002 Altima Sedan

Default 2009 Quest- no idea where to start

So, my first minivan but not my first Nissan.

We just bought this quest less then 2 months ago used with 49000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago it threw code P2a03 but still running fine. I haven't had a chance to really dig deeper into it since it said it was a air/fuel sensor. Today it starts idling rough, misfired, and then no acceleration while driving, or hardly any at all. (I've experienced limp home mode in my Altima but this quest is still accelerating more then 5-10mph?)

I rescanned after I got off work, now P2a03 is gone and I have p0300 which I'm contributing to the misfire of course. p2a00 and p00000(dumb reader?)

So I cleared the codes and drove it around the block to see for myself what it was doing because my wife was driving when it did it before, I experienced the above^ but no ses light coming on. I rescanned and I have a p0172 pending but nothing else.

Long story short, no idea where to even begin troubleshooting this since the codes are all over the place.

Thanks for input :)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Unfortunately never had any similar problems before and there are no bulletins for that codes either. Two sensors point to a bad O2 sensors, but the O2 sensors will not cause the cylinder misfire or the no acceleration situation.

I suggest starting by clearing the codes and if possible use a fuel additive with high octane gas. Dirty in the injector can cause the injector to stick open and could cause all the codes you mention.

P0172 NISSAN - Fuel Injection System Too Rich Bank 1

Read more: OBD2-OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code P0172 NISSAN - Fuel Injection System Too Rich Bank 1 | Engine-Codes.com

P2A03 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1

Read more: OBD2-OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code P2A03 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1 | Engine-Codes.com

P0300 NISSAN - Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders

Read more: OBD2-OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code P0300 NISSAN - Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders | Engine-Codes.com
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM
2009 Quest
2002 Altima Sedan

Thanks for the reply, yeah I looked up all of the mentioned codes, hence the loss of an idea :(.

I cleared the codes before taking it around the block and then only got the pending code. It also seems to be limp mode based on other posts I've read about the newer version of it actually allowing to get higher speeds?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 AM
2009 Quest
2002 Altima Sedan

So update, it is definitely misfiring out of nowhere. Would the o2 sensor's or maf sensor malfunctioning cause it to misfire without sending a ses light?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Would the o2 sensor's or maf sensor malfunctioning cause it to misfire without sending a ses light?
Very unlikely, the MAF may cause he engine to hesitate or stall, but not to misfire.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
2009 Quest
2002 Altima Sedan

So, thoroughly confused now. Couldn't get it out of limp mode via the gas pedal pump blahblah. So I d/c'd the battery for 5mins. Reconnected it and no ses light came back up, and it was idling better. Drove it around the block, still half acceleration.

Turned off TCS at a stop light, didn't change anything, pulled over, turned the engine off with TCS still off, when I turned it back on, TCS was back on and I had full acceleration again. Drove it for 5mins, no ses light still, no pending codes on scan and it's idling like nothing happened. WTF?

Edit: my buddy who helped me do the head gasket on my Altima witnessed all of it today so I know i'm not crazy >_<

edit2: Totally floored, think I'm gonna have to go to a shop for the first time in a long time. I drove it more to go pick up the wife n kids, drvoe about 1.5 miles and it went to poor acceleration after turning a corner and idling kind of rough while I was in stop n go traffic. I get to the spot, I turn off car turn it back on to leave still idling rough. I pulled over, turned off TCS, turned off the car, turned the car back on(TCS was automatically back on), and it was back to normal acceleration. 2 codes now, p0175 & p0172 only. .

Last edited by ShadowKlown; 04-19-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
2009 Quest
2002 Altima Sedan

So I'm leaning more towards the o2 sensor being faulty since that was the original code as well...
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM
2009 Quest
2002 Altima Sedan

So to update, the computer somehow had a poor ground and was shorting out. They replaced the computer and it also had bad gas. They're running another round of tests on it in the AM to make sure it's still a-ok and then I get it back hopefully.

Tags
2009, idea, idle, maf, quest, start