Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Can U Replace Rearview Mirror 'MOUNTING PLATE', But Keep the Painted Mirror Assembly? Forums > > Can U Replace Rearview Mirror 'MOUNTING PLATE', But Keep the Painted Mirror Assembly? Can U Replace Rearview Mirror 'MOUNTING PLATE', But Keep the Painted Mirror Assembly?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
2006 Quest

Default Can U Replace SideView Mirror 'MOUNTING PLATE', But Keep the Painted Mirror Assembly?

'04 quest.
Have no idea how, but the black 'bracket that holds the side view mirror on the van got whacked/broken, but the painted (silver/gray) mirror assembly part is perfect.

I know you have to BUY the bracket & the mirror together as one item, but then the mirror 'box' needs to be painted to match the van and that's $$ and a hassle. And the SE mirror, being heated & having 'memory', is a lot more $$ than the base one, but the bracket is the same.

SO...can I buy the new mirror/bracket (base model, $53 or so), remove the new mirror, put my EXISTING mirror on the new bracket & slap it back on?

I can see that the two parts seem to be attached w/three Torx bolts at/near the 'swivel/hinge-point', which I assume allows you to separate the two parts. But maybe the spring at that pivot is wedged in in a certain way where it will go "SPRONG", whack me in the face & never be able to be reassembled.

Has anyone taken those two apart? Will my plan work? I know how to disconnect the cable inside the door, so I could thread it thru the bracket. I really want to know if this is doable BEFORE I buy the mirror, cuz if I cannot, then I'll shop around for a used, salvaged-part that's already painted.

Thanks!

Last edited by deandome; 06-26-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: originally said 'rearview' instead of 'sideview'
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
2004 Quest

I have recently taken apart my mirror to do some work and everything can be taken apart without going 'sprong' (I know what you mean). Taking it apart is not your problem, but routing that wire through will be a pain. The easiest way to go about it is cut off the wire inside the mirror and solder or crimp the new wire to the existing one so you avoid having to run the wires through because you won't be able to.

I made a video of it being taken apart in this youtube video.

LED Side Mirror Turn Signal Indicator Install on Nissan Quest - YouTube

Good Luck

Tags
assembly, mirror, mounting, painted, plate, rearview, replace