Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
TCM, ECM, or OTHER? No acceleration! Forums > > TCM, ECM, or OTHER? No acceleration! TCM, ECM, or OTHER? No acceleration!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
2004 Quest

Default TCM, ECM, or OTHER? No acceleration!

I've bought a used 2004 Nissan Quest SE. 5 speed auto. The problem I'm having is that at least one per day when I start the car, it won't accelerate. (floored, but very slow untill builds up speed,) I find it WON'T fix the problem if I turn off and restart right away, but usually will drive normal if I turn it off for several minutes (sometimes for the duration of a red light) then restart. I've researched and found that it sounds like it could be the TCM..
BUT, a few times now the car has stalled while driving (in normal speed acceleration mode) and when I pull over and restart it is always in the no acceleration mode (limp home mode?). Does this characteristic rule out TCM? Also to mention, I can tell by the way it starts if it is in normal driving condition, or no accelerate condition, because if it drives normal, the engine starts without hesitation, but when it's in no accelerate mode, I have to crank it a few times and pump the gas to start.
Ive also checked the ECM for corrosion issues, but while there was on the outside case, the inside (board) was shiny and untouched.
Thanks!

(have done extra research and now see cam sensor could be an issue too? Forgot to say that the VCD off and check engine light come on also when in the no acceleration mode)

If anyone has a clearer idea of which one the problem could be, I'd appreciate the input. A $80 cam is big difference to a $1300 ECM.

Last edited by Belwa; 05-18-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Scan your ECM for stored dtc's before you start replacing parts.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

+1

Get the codes read. I had a similar situation about 2 years ago on my 2004 Quest. It required replacing some sensors. But the codes will confirm what action you need to take.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Well Belwa, I think I joined the slow/no acceleration club. My 2004 Quest S is behaving like yours. No check engine light and no codes stored in the ECM. The important part is I was able to communicate with the ECM. Based on everything I read in this forum and on the internet, the issue is with the TCM (transmission Control Module).

I found a few places that sell re-manufactured TCM with a one year warranty (Rock Auto). Is replacing the TCM as simple as replacing one TCM for another? Or is re-programming necessary?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
2004 Quest

Default Wait! Check this first!

I ment to get back on this!
Everything that I read said ECM, or tcm. Both high end costs and troubles. I dug deeper, and read about the camshaft position sensor. This was the problem! $100, no issues since!

I bought the car from the owner who couldn't afford the dealer expenses to fix the ECM. By the paperwork, the dealer changed ONE of the 2 cam sensors. They changed the WRONG one for the issues that the car was having, and told the owner to try a new ECM!!!!!!

There are 2 senors. One is $90ish, and located in an easy to reach spot on the drivers side front (closer to bumper) of the engine. This is the one the dealer changed.
The one that causes the issues that we had is on the firewall side of the engine, and a pain to get to, but still a quick and easy fix! This sensor cost me $114 at Part source. Took the cover off the intake, opened one clamp on the fat hose that holds it to the fire wall to move it out of the way, and if you dig under a bit to the engine, you'll find the sensor, open a screw, unclip it, and put the new on in. Presto!!

I can't say that this is the same issue that you have, but if your story is the same as mine, thisis what I did, and the car has been perfect since. No lights, no stalling, no acceleration problems!
If you have a code reader, or can get someone to read it, mine came up with 8 codes, (but they were all repeats) one was P1800 and p0340, once I changed the right sensor, cleared the codes, neither have come back.

Hope this helps you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfb View Post
Well Belwa, I think I joined the slow/no acceleration club. My 2004 Quest S is behaving like yours. No check engine light and no codes stored in the ECM. The important part is I was able to communicate with the ECM. Based on everything I read in this forum and on the internet, the issue is with the TCM (transmission Control Module).

I found a few places that sell re-manufactured TCM with a one year warranty (Rock Auto). Is replacing the TCM as simple as replacing one TCM for another? Or is re-programming necessary?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
2005 Quest

I'm seeing alot of this problem online, so I'd like to replace these before this problem happens (plus I have a road trip coming up). So there are two of these sensors...are they the same part number?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Thanks Belwa. Unfortunately, no codes are showing up for me. I checked yesterday afternoon with my code reader.

I had the same situation you are talking about 3 years ago. Replacing both camshaft sensors worked.

Hopefully one of the moderators can help.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 AM
2004 Quest

Default same problem - I think

My problem sounds the same, but happens only after the car has armed up or later int he day. It will feel like a slipping clutch where the engine revs but gets no pull and then catches and jerks ahead.

Is this a Cam sensor problem? Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
2007 Quest

I had this problem today. Same issues, hard to start, bangs into reverse, and no accelleration. The code was p0340. Cam position sensor. i have a 2007 quest. Unfortunately for me i was unaware that there were 2 sensors. one for bank 1 and one for bank 2. Not sure exactly what "bank" means but im guessing because there are 2 cams then 2 sensors. Anyway replaced the sensor that was more toward the front of the vehicle (cost $60). I think that was bank 2. That didn't work so after some research online people were saying the VIAS solenoid. $200 later still the same problem. Talked with the guy at dealer, he said the code for bank 2 is p0345 and bank 1 is p0340. That sensor was $85. put that in and now she runs perfect. Note if you have big hands get someone with smaller hands to help you because the rear sensor is almost impossible to get to with the fuel lines in the way. my knuckles are torn up. hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 AM
2007 Xterra

Hi, I have similar problem with my Xterra 2007. I just replaced the bodyvalve of my Xterra 2007 with a brand new one, but wouldn't start. Tried scanning and P0603 was the error code reading. Can anyone help, what could the problem be? what is the way forward?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

There is a TSB that deals with P0603 for the Xterra. At the top of the page, click on "knowledgebase"; then "service bulletins"; then "Xterra"; the "2007"

There is a drop down menu; scroll to "p0603". you can download the TSB. it explains the problem and gives a diagnostic procedure to follow.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 PM
2004 Quest

Default 2004 quest hesitation no codes

Could you please follow up on what you did to fix your issue with the no acceleration and no codes on your 2004 Quest?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:36 PM
2005 Quest
2005 Quest

I have a 2005. It will cut off, then upon restart seems to be stuck in high gear. Pulling the shifter from D to L allows normal driving. Once the van is turned off for a few minutes the problem goes away.

Codes were P0340 & P0345 and a history code of P0726. I replaced both Cam Sensors. Problem, CEL, and codes are all still there.

Ideas?

Don
Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 AM
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

We just recently had the same issue with our '04 Quest. TCM replaced but didn't fix. Front cam position sensor replaced but didn't fix. Rear cam position sensor replaced, problem solved! Getting to the rear CPS is a pain. However, the best way to remove the old sensor (after removing the air intake) is to remove the single bolt before unplugging. Before removing the sensor/plug, unclip the wire from its holder and you'll be able to pull out the sensor/plug far enough to be able to disconnect the sensor. (Press the green clip in till it clicks, pry plug off sensor. When connecting plug to the new sensor, make sure the green clip clicks when pressed down. Use a magnetic 10mm socket for the single bolt. You'll thank me later!)
Old 07-29-2020, 05:39 PM
2009 Quest
2009 Quest

Exclamation 2009 Quest

Me and my wife own a 2009 Quest and Im trying to see why when we put our foot on the gas it does not accelerate we have change the alternate in it . We just dont understand what it could be .. Different people told us it could be a sensor in it .. or electric problem ... ?????????? And with that all of the lights on the dash bored is on so im really unsure what it could be ..

Last edited by damash2016; 07-29-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: missed spelled a word

Tags
acceleration, ecm, no acceleration, tcm