Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
OBD II Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) Forums > > OBD II Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) OBD II Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM
2004 Quest

Smile IT is ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Sorry for not getting back here sooner but once things got back to normal everything else was backed up so I had to go full throttle to make up for 2 lost days of work on the van.

To quickly review. Codes said bad cam sensor which both are recommended to be replaced. Not a fun job on the back one.I tried to do it without removing the air box duct work but ultimately was the best thing to do. Finally by basically touch and feel got the back one replaced the front one I looked all over for thinking it was in a difficult place also of course but was very happy to see it right there in front of my face (WOW a part they make it where you can reach? That designer is probably fired now Ha ha!).

Got everything back in, hooked battery up, went to Autozone who would not clear the error codes but gave the OBD to me and I figured out how to clear it. Figured I had the van fixed and then bam! It cuts off pulling out into traffic,lights go back on, dragged it's butt down the road with nearly zero power, shifted into Low and felt like the transmission was going to tear out like before ,limped it home feeling defeated.

Pulled the ECM when I got home as that needed to be checked and was next possible culprit but knew if that was what was wrong we could not afford it and would be the death sentance for the van that we still owe 6k on and I am out of work with no unemployment money(self employed 25 years).

ECM housing was not compromised so reinstalled.Was dark by then so decided to sleep on it and try the next day.

The next morning I stood there trying to come up with my last plan of action.ECM looked good on exterior and all connections were clean (no corrosion ie) has new cam sensors....so what you going to do?

Always check the simple stuff whether it is a pain or not.I have lots of time and no money was the answer.

Pulled all the ductwork out again checked for wires I might have knocked off and finally was reached back to the rear cam senor. Was still pulled up I could see (has a big green slide on plug) BUT when I contorted enough to get ahold on it I detected a slight movement between the sensor and plug. Did not seem like enough to affect it but was only shot I had left.

I unbolted the 10mm bolt holding the sensor into the engine and pulled the sensor and the plug out together still attached so I KNEW what was going on rather than the installation of putting in sensor and then pulgging it up.

There was some play between the two and it had a funky slide type set-up on the plug side that applied pressure as it was seated. I had that fully seated but connection could still be easily pulled apart which I DID NOT like.

Now with both sensor and plug in my hand where I could really get to it I got a screwdriver the right width and FIRMLY seated the plugs slide and then put everything back together,hooked up battery, PRAYED, and turned the key on.

The VDC light was out engine light was of course still on (needs to be reset) I had found a post telling how to reset that light without the scanner (basically turning key on, pressing gas pedal for x amount of seconds, off for x amount of seconds etc etc which has to be perfect but worked).

Had all the klights off and it has been working perfectly for over a week!
Thank you Lord! Is all I can say.

Thank you for everyone that helped me on this and hope everyone has a nice rest of the week.

We are on the road again!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Nice. where is the ECM? and how did you pull it out. I need to check that too.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

From the Quest driver website, someone posted pictures removing the ECM and painting the outside.

Preventative maintenance work done on my ECM to prevent rust | Nissan Quest Forum Community
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

excellent post. I wonder how come I havent found it yet. I will definately take it out and put paint on it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 PM
2004 Quest
2010 Altima

I have a 2004 Nissan Quest with a PO340 Code (Camshaft sensor Problem) I removed the bolt that holds the sensor but don't have any idea how to remove the green connector from the sensor.
Any help will be appreciated, Thank You
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM
2004 Quest
2005 Armada

Can anyone on tell me where the two cam sensor are located on a 2004 nissan quest? I found the first one by the air cleaner/intake but the other one is where?

thanks,
A full van of kids
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
2004 Quest
2005 Armada

please make sure you un- plug the battery and u will need to use your fingers to snap of (gently) the two clips on each side of it. Please take your time, you don't want to break it.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Check the 2nd post by Nissantech: 2004 Quest will not cranks but won't start.

He posted pictures of the camshaft locations.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 AM
2005 Quest

It seems that I have broken the locking mechanism on the green connector that connects to the bank 1 camshaft position sensor. I can not get it to lock back into place when I install the new sensor. Dealer is saying I can not just get the green connector, that I have to buy the whole harness assembly. Does anyone know where I can get just the connector and how to go about de-pinning the three wires to the connector? Or does anyone know how to get the connector to lock!! Where can I find the connector and terminal pin service manual for 2005 Quest.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
2005 Quest
2008 Frontier

Default 2005 Nissan Quest error code P0340

I purchased a cool ODBII scanner online (ebay) for $20.00. Why so cheap? You can connect it to a bluetooth enabled device (smart phone, android tablet) to retrieve the codes. It works very well.

I had this problem about 2 years ago (error code P0340), changed both CAM sensors, and all was well. This problem has returned. I read somewhere on this site that engine sludge may be causing or complicating the problem. I agree. The sludge was pretty bad (I have 142k miles, but the van runs very well). I will perform the following:
1. remove the sensors, inspect, then clean them.
2. verify that they are seated (connections) properly.
3. Apply seafoam to the engine.
4. if this does not work, purchase both and install them again.
Stay tuned, I will do this work within 3 days and will let you know what happens....
by the way, I had a P0304 (cylinder 4 misfire detected) error initially, but changed all 6 sparks plugs and ignition coils, and this error went away. Changing the spark plugs on a 2005 nissan quest is ridiculous! You have to partially disassemble the engine! I am an electronic engineer, and I must say the nissan mechanical/auto engineers dropped the ball on this one. It should not be so difficult to change the spark plugs.

We'll talk in a few days.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
2008 Quest

I purchased a 2008 used nissan quest. Its been running great for over a year other then suspension issues but recently ran into this P0340 code.

Changed cps bank 2 ($130 canadian) ran good for a week and then started acting up again.

Acting up consisted of van turning over without starting up like a flooded vehicle. Then starting and what felt like dropping a transmission. The van went into limp mode where the rpms would go to about 2100 but the van wouldn't accelerate much. Reverse would clunk into gear and it eventually stalled out.

I then replaced cps bank 1 (actual error P0340 - approx $130 canadian also) its been running fine now for a few days and have taken it on a hour or so road trip with steady speed limits of approx 100kph or 60 mph. Going on a longer trip tomorrow praying it doesn't happen on this trip.

Will keep you posted. I've seen else where that more consistant oil changes can help prolong these consistant errors/problems.

Last edited by frustr8d; 07-08-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typos

Tags
bank, camshaft, circuit, code, obd, p0340, position, sensor, single