Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 Quest Alternator Removal & Replacement tips Forums > > 2007 Quest Alternator Removal & Replacement tips 2007 Quest Alternator Removal & Replacement tips
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
kenimpzoom

Default 2007 Quest Alternator Removal & Replacement tips

2007 Quest alternator gave out at 47000 miles.

Dealer wanted 800 bucks, others said around 550. I took it to Sears who said they could do it, then took a look at it and backed out.

Being that I have been working on cars for 20+ years, I took a stab at it.

Removal
1. remove air plenum above radiator
2. remove upper radiator hose
3. remove electric fans
4. remove radiator (you can leave the lower radiator hose on the engine, no need to remove)
5. remove idler pulley and remove belt (loosen nut in the middle of the idler pulley, then unscrew the belt tension adjuster)
6. remove two bolts holding alernator in place

To install
1. place alternator into position
2. install lower bolt by tying a piece of fishing line to a piece of bailing wire and threading the wire/fising line thru the bolt hole. Remove fishing line from wire and tie fishing line onto threads of bolt. Pull fishing line tight which will then pull the bolt thru the bolt hole.
3. finish alternator install
4. put everything else back in reverse order

Count on about 3-4 hours if you are fast.

Rebuilt alternator costs 200 at oreilly auto and a new belt costs 25. Saved about 300 bucks doing it myself.

Ken

Last edited by kenimpzoom; 08-25-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Great work!!! Thanks for posting the directions!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:40 AM
2007 Quest

Default Worked for me!

Thanks Ken! I had to remove the battery and battery tray to get the radiator fan assembly out. I also couldn't get the lower bolt to pull through with fishing line attached, but just wrapped the line around the bolt and used that to get it started, then pulled the string hard. It came off, but I was able to push the bolt through then. It was like a chinese puzzle getting the alternator out and the new one back in, but it worked!

Tags
2007, alternator, quest, removal, replacement, tips