Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Quest only 68,000 and a piece of Junk Forums > > 2004 Quest only 68,000 and a piece of Junk 2004 Quest only 68,000 and a piece of Junk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM
RFS1957

Default 2004 Quest only 68,000 and a piece of Junk

My 2004 Quest is a big disappointment recently I've have the following problems:
At 62,000 miles I had the LH Front inner & outer tierods, rotor & front brakes, front wheel alignment, my bill came to about $1500

At 65,000 miles the Quest would not start, they replaced the cam sensor, another $420. They also told me that my L-control arm needs replacement($495), R/outer Tie rod loose($176), Lower oil pan is rusted needs to be replaced($301), Lower coolant tube leaking($235), drive belts($225), alignment($89)

Why so many problems with a low mileage van and how can so many new problems show up between my first visit(62K miles) and my second visit(65K miles). If I get it fixed what other problems should I expect? I believe my best course of action is to buy a Honda Pilot and never consider another Nissan product.
By the way, I contacted Nissan USA and they were as helpful as the IRS.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
nymaxquest

The next thing to go will be the ECM. It will rust out and not be covered under warranty. The car will not start. It will sound like the fuel pump has gone bad. Expect to pay around $1,500.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

You must be taking your Quest to the dealer.....

Find a good independent mechanic and get a second opinion. I had a couple of those same repairs and mine did not cost near that much. Yes, you are at relatively low miles but you are at the point where parts need replacing. Unfortunately, none of us can predict what will happen next with your Quest.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
nymaxquest

Dealer would not sell ECM to a Good Independent mechanic. Said they need to do the work so they can reprogram the keys at the same time. After work was done I had to bring my other two keys in to be reprogrammed.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

I know they are reluctant to sell THAT specific part to an independent mechanic. The ECM location is not well protected and Nissan is trying not to expose this. The ECM should be covered by warranty. No reason for this part to rust....ever! Here's a website that sells the ECM: AAA Nissan Parts

Many websites that sell these types of parts will include instructions to re-program. Not sure if this one does or not. But it is worth a quick call to save several hundred dollars.

I have a similar situation with my 2004 Quest and the lower control arm bushings. Nissan dealership does not have just the bushings and only sells the complete control arm....for an absurd price I might add. My mechanic told me if I can find just the bushings, he will install it for me. He balked at Nissan's price and insistence that the entire arm needed to be replaced when just the bushing is bad. Guess what I am doing today? Searching for bushings. And I found several places that sell just the bushing for the 2004 Quest including Rockauto.com which I found is very well respected.

Nissan has to get their act together. The Quest is an embarrassment to Nissan and their customer service is even worst. I belong to several Nissan Quest forums and there are some pissed off Quest owners out there that Nissan has lost forever. I'm not asking for freebies. If you manufacture a car and people pay good money, you should support it. Making sorry excuses and blaming consumers for YOUR poor designs is inexcusable! The ECM should never rust. Do a silent recall and have the consumer pay for the labor if the vehicle is out of warranty. No need to replace them all if people are not having problems.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
quest001

2004 Nissan Quest
100k- replaced both control arms, 2 motor mounts, power steering rack, power steering pressure hose, and other stuffs I can't remember at the moment. And you guys think you have it bad. LOL.

BTW, I have tried but there seems to be no way you can just buy the control arm bushings by itself.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
RFS1957

I am having a mechanic friend dothe the remaining work on my 04 Quest(piece of junk). It will be sold before I run into any other problems, will be buying a 2010 Honda Pilot. Nissan ill never get one penny of business from me, I'll also inform everyone I speak with
that Nissan could care less about its customers, and sold a product that was totally unreliable.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 PM
2004 Quest

Default + 1 on the Quest being a junk of a car

We purchased this vehicle 1.5 years ago at about 67,000.00 miles. So far, had to replace 3 coils, 2 batteries, all four bolts on the rear motor mount broke (that was a journey of its own), leaking, sliding door issues, intermittent working cluster, and now I'm looking at fixing the P0340 and P0345 codes. I have owned my Toyota Tacoma for 7 years and put 140,000 miles on it and have had only one problem on it, a leaking master brake cylinder, which only costed about $80.00 to replace. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN AGAIN and will likely buy a Toyota Van. It is unbelievable that this Quest turned out to be such an unreliable and faulty vehicle. I have more trust in my 1974 Ford F250 highboy than I have in this Nissan Quest.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
2008 Maxima
2001 Frontier

Hey gang sorry to here of all your troubles. I have an 04 Quest that I purchased new and maintain with almost white gloves. She is at 162 K and I have never replaced any major parts. Spark Plugs once, brakes 3 times, drive belts every 60 K and a good dose of Amsoil 5w30 every 7500 miles. I must say that I service my van myself, so I can only imagine what the dealerships are doing to you all. I my opinion, Nissan makes a really good product, just stay away from the dealerships. There isn't a single part that you should ever need that you can't get aftermarket and have installed at a trusted shop for 60 to 70 % less than the dealership. Take care of your vans gang, they will serve you all for a long, long time.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 AM
2001 Quest

My 2001 Quest is about to get its FOURTH set of motor mounts, at 131k miles. I've owned cars for 40 years and have never replaced a motor mount in any other vehicle.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 AM
1999 Quest
1999 quest

I own a 1999 Quest with 305,000 virtually trouble free miles until recently. The brake lines rusted through and it required replacing the proportioning valve ($265) because the fittings were seized. Nissan cannot even see fit to use antiseize when building a car. The rear AC line is leaking ($165) so I just disabled the rear AC. Am getting it recharged tomorrow. I cannot afford a new car yet, but when I can it will never be a Nissan.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsejoe View Post
I own a 1999 Quest with 305,000 virtually trouble free miles until recently. The brake lines rusted through and it required replacing the proportioning valve ($265) because the fittings were seized. Nissan cannot even see fit to use antiseize when building a car. The rear AC line is leaking ($165) so I just disabled the rear AC. Am getting it recharged tomorrow. I cannot afford a new car yet, but when I can it will never be a Nissan.
You got over 300,000 trouble free miles out of your Nissan yet you'll never buy another one because you got some rusty brake lines and a leaking A/C hose after 16-years?? If that's all it takes to make you dissatisfied with a manufacturer you'll likely be very disappointed with your next vehicle! Sounds to me your Nissan provided you with pretty good service. FYI, no manufacturer installs anti-seize on brake line fittings when building their cars. The biggest contributor to rusty brake lines and fittings is road salt. Washing the undercarriage of the vehicle several times a years is a good idea if you live in a state that uses salt or brine solutions on the roads.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:47 AM
1999 Quest
1999 quest

Default Why I rarely post

"Master Enthusiast" SMJ999SMJ says it all. Not knowing anything about me or my car he disses me. I have been abused by other fanboys on other forums (Geo Metro Forum for one) the same way. Could it just be that my having been an ASE Master Tech in the past with and an AAS in Automotive Technology was the reason for my trouble free miles? Any car can be "virtually trouble free" if you do proper preventive maintenance. There are design flaws which no amount of preventive maintenance can overcome, of which I noted. I will not answer any more posts from smart aleck "Master Enthusiast" SMJ999SMJ, and probably go back to lurking. Sheesh!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I wasn't trying to "dis" anyone nor their car. Generally, when people have a car for over 300,000 miles and only two problems, they are usually very happy with that particular manufacturer. But....okay!