Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 quest intermittant instrument cluster Forums > > 2004 quest intermittant instrument cluster 2004 quest intermittant instrument cluster
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 AM
btest

Default 2004 quest intermittant instrument cluster

The power to my instrument cluster keeps going out. No lights, fuel, etc.

When it comes back the transmission is often in "O/D Off" mode.

I have searched through the forums here and there seems to be major issues with corrosion of the ECU - could this be related to that?

I also found an internet reference to broken traces on the circuit board causing the issue.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to diagnose this?

Thanks,
Brett
Old 07-04-2009, 06:21 PM
btest

OK - just in case this this ever effects anyone else. I pulled the instrument cluster apart and went over the circuit board with a low powered scope and found the problem. Q20, the only through-hole transister on the circuit board (the rest are surface mount) had a cold solder joint on one of its legs. Soldered it back up, put it back together and it's been rock solid since.

Brett
Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 AM
jong32

Where is Q20 on the circuit board? can't find it and how can I take from the speedometer & tach dials? Joe
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
gnutz

do you have a diagram? or picture of the area? the solder point?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 PM
btest

The needles just pull off and the circuit board just unclips from the back. Be very careful with the lcd display! Do not take it off and try not to flex it's cable or you will start dropping segments.

I am afraid the display is back in the vehicle so I can't take any pictures but its your typical transister, with 3 leads coming out the bottom. As I said above, it is the only non-surface mount device on the board and is easy to find.

When you put it back together just put the needles back on just far enough that they stay on, reconnect the unit and turn the ignition on. Make any adjustments to align them and then push them on until they are snug but are not dragging on the display board behind them.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 PM
2004 Quest

How do you get to the instrument cluster? Haven't been able to find it in the manuals. Do you have to pull the center console first & work your way up?Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
2005 Quest
2012 Sentra

My odometer, H/C and Fuel gauge all have begun to have intermittent segments or fading as I call it. What or who can I call to repair it. THe dealer wants 377 plus 100 dollars to install along with 20 - 30 dollars to recalibrate. Any suggestions? The rest of the instruments are working fine (the 3 x 5 LCD). Cna I pick one up at a junkyard and have re calibrated to my current odometer?

Last edited by Rkytop97; 05-25-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
2005 Quest

Default Cluster repair

Cluster Fix repairs this problem and it includes a one year warranty.
You can call 888-806-5544 or place your order at Cluster Fix
Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 PM
2004 Quest
2006 Xterra

Bumping an old thread here. My 2004 Quest has had both problems - the failed odometer/fuel/temperature display and the intermittent complete blackout of the instrument panel (taking with it overdrive and the inside indications of the turn signals). I fixed the odometer/fuel/temp display a while back by replacing it with a new LCD display (bought online pre-soldered onto a new ribbon cable). You can get those from Amazon or a number of eBay sellers.

I finally found this thread with btest's advice on how to fix the instrument panel intermittent failure. It took me a while to find the bad solder joint (the transistor location was marked Q28 on my circuit board, not Q20), and it took me even longer to fix the solder joint (I haven't soldered anything in years), but it's been working for two days now. Many thanks for btest! Nine years later your advice is still helping people.

Tags
2004, cluster, instrument, intermittant, quest