Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   Hard Shift 2005 Altima 2.5S (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/9629-hard-shift-2005-altima-2-5s.html)

superkid667 11-19-2008 07:02 AM

Hard Shift 2005 Altima 2.5S

Hello Everyone

When driving my altima i feel a hard shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear at low speeds (10-35km/h), i have no engine lights on, i checked and no codes are stored on the computer. When driving normally the hard shift is not noticeable to much. I have changed the transmission fuel and radiator coolant, however the problem still exists. I understand their is a service bulletin for this problem by nissan :

NISSAN ALTIMA, SENTRA, MAXIMA QUEST; 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HARSH 1-2 SHIFT AND/OR DTC P0745 STORED

The dealership told me that this bulletin would not apply to my vechile because i'm in Canada, they mentioned that the bullentin is for American made Vechiles. Furthermore my Vechile VIN# does not have any re-calls for this problem.

2nd to 3rd Gear is smooth and Over-drive is smooth. The vechile currenetly has 117,000km, i'm no longer covered in the power-train warranty.

Please help me!!!!

P.S It's a AUTO Tranny

NissanTech 11-20-2008 05:13 PM

The bulletin suggest replacing the valve body, you may want to try to that since changing the fluid didn't repair the problem and there are no codes.

The instruction are in the bulletin NTB05-001. Go to the 2005 Altima bulletin list: Knowledgebase - 2005 Altima - Nissanhelp.com

Keyword Filter: transmission

superkid667 11-20-2008 10:15 PM

I have a good understanding of how engines work, but transmissions, I haven't a clue! Considering the symptoms I'm experiencing with the hard shift at low speeds only between 1-2 gear and no codes, what would you recommend I change first? Should I just follow the bulletin and change everything listed? Should I start with the dropping resistor since its in the engine (one mechanic suggested to do this first)?

I need your professional advice because I just don't want to throw money at the problem.

superkid667 11-22-2008 02:53 PM

Changed the valve body as you suggested and wow what a difference! Smooth Shifting in all gears. My mechanic mentioned that Nissan does not recommend transmission fluid flush with a machine, as it sometimes causes problems. The repairs dented my wallet big time but I'm happy my beautiful Altima is driving like new once again.

Anyone else that has 2005 altima, let my transmission be an example!

DON"T DO A TRANSMISSION FLUSH WITH A MACHINE!

faiqahmed 01-18-2009 06:39 PM

Valve body?

What exactly do yo mean by replacing the valve body?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NissanTech (Post 32316)
The bulletin suggest replacing the valve body, you may want to try to that since changing the fluid didn't repair the problem and there are no codes.

The instruction are in the bulletin NTB05-001. Go to the 2005 Altima bulletin list: Knowledgebase - 2005 Altima - Nissanhelp.com

Keyword Filter: transmission

tech22 01-19-2009 04:51 AM

The valve body is located within the tranmission.See NTB05-001.

bibek_a 04-14-2009 06:35 AM

Is this problem covered under power-train warranty?

superkid667 04-15-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibek_a (Post 38904)
Is this problem covered under power-train warranty?

Yes. If your still in warranty, then it would be covered under the power-train warranty.