Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   Mileage between oil changes with Mobil 1 Synthetic (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/9312-mileage-between-oil-changes-mobil-1-synthetic.html)

sailfl 10-25-2008 06:02 AM

Mileage between oil changes with Mobil 1 Synthetic

Once you start using synthetic oil (Mobil 1 for me), can you go longer between oil changes? I tried to find out by going to the Mobil 1 website but they don't give a number. I know Nissan recommends 3750 miles between change but that is regular oil.

vpnavy 10-25-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailfl (Post 31043)
Once you start using synthetic oil (Mobil 1 for me), can you go longer between oil changes? I tried to find out by going to the Mobil 1 website but they don't give a number. I know Nissan recommends 3750 miles between change but that is regular oil.

This doesn't answer your question but it does relate to moving to synthetic oil. I searched the net and wow - what a bunch of conflicting recommendations! I wouldn't be surprised if you simply go from 3,000 to 6,000 between changes. Eitherway, I'll be watching this thread to see what the answer is.

Jump over to: Switching From Conventional Motor Oil to Mobil 1

For instance, let’s say that your regular oil change interval is 5,000 miles. If you’re switching to Mobil 1 under the circumstances mentioned above, make your next Mobil 1 oil change in 2,500 miles, your third Mobil 1 oil change 3,500 miles after that, and then follow your normal 5,000 mile oil-change interval. The reasoning behind this staggered interval is that a high-mileage engine, or one that has seen infrequent oil changes, will likely have a considerable build-up of sludge and deposits. Mobil 1 will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine, and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first few thousand miles. After that, you can rest assured that Mobil 1 is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.

sergey85 10-25-2008 08:11 AM

i use mobile 1 synthetic and i do mine every 3k, cause im anal about that kind of stuff and autozone got it for like 25 or 30 for 5qt and a filter all mobile 1. but i have gone in my 98 audi a8 for like 7 or 8 k and my freinds 01 gs430 is at 7k right now. to me if u are just taking it easy and just dd then u could go a lil higher than 3k but since i sometimes gun my car and try to race so ill change it at 3k. these days the oil is so much better and last longer and i think i posted a thread here about 3k oil change being a myth. it all depends on how u want to do it. if u feel comfortable going over 3k do it if not do it at 3k just to be on the safe side. plus mine is always a lil short when i drain it, so i dont want to be too low(ONLY ABOUT 3/4 OF A 1QT SHORT). mobile one is good brand, get u a good mobile one filter too.

sergey85 10-25-2008 08:14 AM

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/gener...nges-myth.html here you go, i still think it should be done at 3k but thats just me

vpnavy 10-25-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergey85 (Post 31050)
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/gener...nges-myth.html here you go, i still think it should be done at 3k but thats just me

Wow - forgot about that thread. :biggrin2:

mpe235 10-25-2008 11:01 AM

I use mobil 1 and change it every 6000 miles. Never had a problem.
There is a guy that comes into our shop with a 2003 murano. He uses some off brand synthetic oil that he gets from the internet. He comes in every 3000 miles to have us change the oil filter and top off the oil. He changes it every 15,000 miles and hasn't had any problems. He has about 90k on it now.
I personally think 15k is too long but I have seen documentation from amsoil that guarantees their oil will last that long.

sailfl 10-26-2008 05:23 AM

The oil needs to be changed and I guess you could change it based on the color but it is vital to the functioning of the car.

Since I could find any thing on Mobil 1 website maybe I will call their customer service dept and see what they have to say.

I find the idea of gradually increase the number of miles between changes with synthetic oil interesting. I will have to give that some thought.

In my opinion, oil be it regular or synthetic is cheap and it is the less expensive thing you can do to insure that the engine continues to run well.

sergey85 10-26-2008 12:07 PM

i think after your car drives a certain milage, once u put the oil in and drive it will turn dark quickly. mobile one offers 15k oils or 5k oil i believe

tech22 10-26-2008 12:52 PM

Out of habit i still change mine beyween 3500-4000 but only because i do tow a boat on occations and the conditions my truck is sometime subjected to.

Boomer 11-05-2008 04:37 PM

Go to Bob Is The Oil Guy - Powered by Motor Oil. They are oil experts who strated the site and there are LOTS of discussions on how long you can leave a syn oil in an engine. They also post a lot of used oil analyses. Check it out for factual info!