Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   Removing rear rotor (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/9265-removing-rear-rotor.html)

harpo97 10-20-2008 07:06 PM

Removing rear rotor

Hello, I've got a 2004 altima 2.5. Is there anything holding the rear rotor on besides rust and corrosion? Any tricks to remove the rotor?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

sergey85 10-20-2008 07:14 PM

u should see a rubber peice covering a hole on your drum, u might have to adjust it a lil, to make it move inward to remove the drum. check out this service manual Knowledgebase - 2004 Altima - Nissanhelp.com click on the brake sys and look in the content and u should see rear disk brakes and it tell u how to remove it. good luck

harpo97 10-20-2008 08:12 PM

Yes, found the site, thanks much for quick reply. Will get into the hole and adjust tomorrow. If any others have tricks, or info which may help, please advise. Thank you!

NissanTech 10-20-2008 09:25 PM

I agree with sergey85, the parking brake is probably holding the brake pedal. Here some information on how to adjust the parking brake: Nissan Altima Parking Brake Adjustment

mpe235 10-21-2008 03:14 AM

Usually on the altima it is not necessary to loosen the parking brake shoes. Use a hammer to hit the flat part of the rotor near the wheel studs (be careful not to damage the studs)and the rotor should come free.

harpo97 10-21-2008 04:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. After some serious pounding, rotors decided to come off. Thanks again for your help, everyone.

sergey85 10-21-2008 05:01 PM

awsome. sometimes its hard to get them off. usually from the ones we did in class they were out too much and needed to be adjusted in. one of the guys was trying to get his off, he had a jeep wrangler, and couldnt get it off and punded pretty hard and accidently hit the stud and messed the threads on it but he fixed it in class

harpo97 10-21-2008 09:57 PM

Yes, was very careful with the pounding, started with a rubber mallet, then even more careful with a regular hammer. I could definitely see messing up a stud, as one time I missed with the rubber mallet and the stud was covered with rubber. Also, adjusted the parking brake screw a couple of notches in which helped alleviate some pressure. Nevertheless, success! Thanks for the info.

jamesosc 10-25-2008 05:46 AM

Rear Rotor Removal

To remove rear rotor first insure parking brake is not engaged. Once you take off tire remove the two 19mm bolts holding the caliper in place, once removed get a rubber mallet and hit the rotor on the outside a couple of times to losen the rotor which the rust has caused it to stick. I removed and shaved my rotors today by the way.

danprkr 06-09-2012 07:24 AM

If you start the lugs back on the studs when pounding with a hammer the studs are protected. You may have to buy a pretty lug nut, but that's far less of a hassle than replacing a stud.