Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Armada (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/armada/)
-   -   Roar noise and slight vibration going over 40 mph (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/armada/8409-roar-noise-slight-vibration-going-over-40-mph.html)

MiMada 07-23-2008 08:01 PM

Roar noise and slight vibration going over 40 mph

My Armada has 40,000 miles and had new brakes and new rotors (front) and ABS sensor changed last week on separate visits. Since then I noticed an odd noise on and off and now more frequently as soon as I go over 40 mph accelerating...thought it was the A/C which sometimes when very hot outside makes a whining noise (not same noise as new one described herein)...so I turned a/c off...the deep roaring sound continued. It stops when I drop below about 40 and does not occur till I pass that speed again. It does not occur every time but often and the car feels odd like there's an all over vibration along with the deep roaring noise which sounds like it's coming from the front end somewhere or under the middle area but I am not sure where it's from. It got really intense a few times so far yesterday and today and other times it's minimal and hard to hear. It does it in lower temps too like today it was only 78 out. Any ideas? I have noticed a little odd (clunky) shifting when giving gas at the 40-50 mph range recently too and it clunks often when parking it and shifting to park, drive or reverse even though I am FULLY stopped. The rpms look ok during all speeds but could this be a problem going into overdrive? Does anyone know at what speed overdrive kicks in? I am a little concerned for safety as I had a brake failure once already (long before the ABS sensor repair problem of last week). This doesn't seem to be a brake thing but it does feel a little draggy like the car is being held back somewhat. Could they have messed up something installing the new rotors and brakes and/or ABS sensor?http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif
Thank you so much. Deanna

mpe235 07-24-2008 02:06 AM

Sounds like a bad front wheel bearing. It is pretty common on the armada. They are covered for 5 years/60000 miles and they come with new abs sensors in them.

NissanTech 07-24-2008 08:02 AM

I agree with mpe235, specially if the problem started after the rotors and ABS was replaced.

MiMada 07-24-2008 03:20 PM

wouldn't that happen under 40 too if it were a bad bearing?...and on turns? It's not a tick or clunk in any way...just a roar and vibration that gets very loud at some times...please answer back...is it dangerous? I had a bad one in another truck years ago but it was a clunky kind of sound (like a ticking noise)...
I am going to try to take it in for them to listen tomm..I've got a good service advisor over there at my dealer and he actually did mention that on the phone...

sergey85 07-24-2008 05:10 PM

maybe your tire or tires need to be balanced

mpe235 07-25-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiMada (Post 26845)
wouldn't that happen under 40 too if it were a bad bearing?...and on turns? It's not a tick or clunk in any way...just a roar and vibration that gets very loud at some times...please answer back...is it dangerous? I had a bad one in another truck years ago but it was a clunky kind of sound (like a ticking noise)...
I am going to try to take it in for them to listen tomm..I've got a good service advisor over there at my dealer and he actually did mention that on the phone...

Bad wheel bearings usually start making noise at higher speeds and almost always make a growling noise. I have never seen one that makes a click noise. It could be dangerous, the bearing is probably making noise because it is loose. You can check it by jacking up the truck and then grab hold of the top and bottom of the tire and try wiggling it.

lmerney 08-12-2008 08:00 AM

Vibrations

I have also experienced my Armada vibrating, but not until I reach about 70 MPH. It is very disconcerting while you are highway driving. I have had the rotors replaced twice in the last 2 years (for brake judder problems), brakes changed and a wheel alignment, yet the problem still exists. Perhaps this is a wheel bearing problem as well??

sergey85 08-12-2008 12:32 PM

it could be a wheel bearing an easy way to check is to jack up one of wheels and move it sideway if u get any play then wheel bearing might be your problem then repeat the same for all the other wheels.now do u get this vibratiojn when u are braking or just driving?

lmerney 08-14-2008 07:12 AM

Just driving. I WAS getting the vibration before, but had my rotors shaved (again) and this seemed to get rid of the shaking during braking. But, of course, it still happens when going around 70 and increases and speed does.

nistec 09-13-2008 07:20 AM

Take a look at the drive shaft while they are at it. It could easily make a clicking noise when shifting while the vehcile is not moving.It could also cause the vibration.

The roar may be tires or a wheel bearing. does

jcc0427 12-16-2008 11:21 AM

My 2006 Armada makes a roaring,humming (not a vibration) sound-only when it rains or any slight moisture on the road surface??? starts at about 70 and gets louder as I go faster. It has done this since day 1, recently put new BFG tires on it and it is still making noise?? Very annoying.

mrchambers 02-10-2010 12:16 PM

Roaring

I own a 2004 Armada and experience the same roaring noise. I noticed it first when I had about 20,000 miles (now have 68,500) but only when the roads were wet. It happened occassionally not at all times when traveling on wet streets. The noise begins at about 40 mph and gets louder as speed increases. Sometimes when I let off the gas the sound will go away. Only recently have I noticed the same sound when roads are dry but again it is sporadic. I have taken it in to the dealership on different occassions but get the standard response " we can't diagnose the problem if we cannot duplicate it". When I have been able to get it into the dealership when the roads were wet it didn't make the sound. Of course I have changed the tires in this time period but it didn't make a difference. :bot:

nisrjz 04-17-2010 06:58 AM

Wheel bearings generally make a cyclical womp womp womp noise...if they are really bad they grind, in which case you should pull off the road immediately. Next time you hear this roar, pull off the road and touch each wheel (the metal part). If one of them is super hot such that you recoil your hand, that is the wheel and it is a wheel bearing problem. Get it fixed quickly.

On the other hand a "roar" is frequently the tires making noise. Tires can "cup" if there are suspension problems, such as worn shock absorlbers. Stop and run you hands over the top of the tires. If you feel flat spots, that could be the problem. Bring it to a tire guy to check out.

Finally, vibrations can be as simple as a tire being not balanced properly. Take your shop to a good shop with a tire balancing machine and check the balancing of all tires.

Pay attention to this problem and make sure you find the cause, because if it is a bad wheel bearing, this can be extremely dangerous.

mrchambers 04-17-2010 07:16 AM

Thank you. I will be sure to do these things. I appreciate your help. I guess I just thought if it were something serious something would have broken by now. I am good to take my truck to the dealership for all service as indicated by the manual and probably have buried my head in the sand thinking that the Nissan professionals would check these things for me, especially since they do 100% of the service work.

Wayyne 05-11-2010 08:37 PM

Hey Guys i've been doing a lot of research online to rectify all the damage I did to my car after hitting a curb at about 20mph with my driverside front wheel. I had the wheels turned all the way right and the brakes were locked up when i slid into the curb. That being said......

I bent my rim. So I replaced it with another OEM I purchased.
I had vibrations when I braked, and it was a bent rotor, I replaced it.
I had squeeking comming from the wheel when driving at anyspeed, turns out my hub assym was bent too. I purchased one from a junkyard and replaced it. Sqeeking issues resolved.

Now I have a new problem....at 50mph - 65mph or so i get the whomp whomp souns described in this post, It's accompanied with a slight vibration. Neither the sound or vibration is present any lower than about 50 mph. And it seems to lessen above 70mph. Both the noise and vibration stop when I turn right (I.E. changing lanes at 55mph) and comes rigt back when I straiten out, it dosn't go away when i turn left at all.

at first the road noise made me think it was caused by the alignment being off, or the tires haveing uneven wear, but this noise wasn't present before I replaced the hub asym. I put a different wheel and tire on to rule out the tire and the only difference was the noice started at around 40-45mph, and again stops whe turning right.

This leaves me ready to take the replacement hub off and return it, however before I do so I'm just looking for some confirmation for my diagnosis. because i've read a few things referencing CV joints. This sound is present regardless of if im accelorating, or not as long as im about 50mph+.

I know this is misplaced, but this thread was the closest to what i'm experiencing I could find, I have an 2005 Infiniti G35.

Im broke lol, so forgoing a balance and alignment if it is indeed the hub and bearings would be awesome. Thanks!