Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   2005 ALTIMA 2.5L EXTENDED CRANK TIME WHEN ENGINE WARM?? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/411-2005-altima-2-5l-extended-crank-time-when-engine-warm.html)

RAMDOG75 03-02-2006 09:01 AM

2005 ALTIMA 2.5L EXTENDED CRANK TIME WHEN ENGINE WARM??

WHATS UP EVERYBODY. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM I HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR NOW. AFTER DRIVING FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES OR SO THEN STOPPING LIKE AT A GROCERY STORE FOR MAYBE 15-20 MINUTES I GO TO START THE CAR AND IT CRANKS 7-10 TIMES RATHER THAN THE USUAL 2-3 CRANKS FOR IT TO START? IT'S BEEN DRIVING ME NUTS!! I WRITE SERVICE FOR A HYUNDAI DEALER AND I HAVE HAD MY GUYS DO 2 COMPLETE FUEL SYSTEM SERVICES ON IT AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED. IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

jb_adams 03-08-2006 06:35 PM

I would bet that it is not in fact the fuel system but the electrical system. I'd start tracing it from that direction.

By the way, ALL CAPS USUALLY MEANS YOU'RE SHOUTING!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :lol:

shanmarie 10-11-2007 03:28 PM

extended crank problems

The exact same thing is happening to my 05 altima. Ive only had my car for 6 months and after the first month its been hard to start at times. Just like you said after driving it for 30 min or more then letting it sit for 15-20 min it takes about 6-10 cranks to start sometimes its worse than others and other times it will be fine for a few weeks. Ive brought it to the nissan dealer 3 times and they cant get it to act up. They have updated my computer in my car and also cleaned the carbon build up and nothing is helping. Im very frusterated. I dont know what else to do. My car sounds sick and its embarrasing like i got a bad deal. Please help me!!!!

Jesse 43 10-15-2007 08:12 AM

I have the same problem with my 2004 altima, had a complete tune up and new cam sensor. Problem is not much better now. Dealer says ECM doesn't show any bad data. Friend told me to turn the key on push accellerator once then start thats seems to help.

JoyBelle 02-06-2008 08:09 AM

2005 Altima Starting Problem

I notice that a tech did not reply to these messages. My starting problem is usually in the mornings, but I notice that more and more, it takes longer to start. Dearler said to turn key on, pump accelator 4 or 5 times to the floor, turn key off, and repeat that process 3 or 4 times. It works, but why should we have to go thru all that? We all want dependability and Nissan was supposed to be one of the best.

NissanTech 02-06-2008 08:59 AM

You should check the fuel pressure. It is a common problem, the check valve inside the fuel pump leaks and wont hold the pressure. It takes a couple of seconds for the system to build the necessary pressure to start the engine.

You don't need to pump the gas pedal, just turn the ignition switch to the ON position for a 2-3 seconds and start the engine.

There is also a bulletin for the 04 models: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...pp=10&keyid=66

carfan 06-26-2008 02:03 PM

I have the same problem. It was finally diagnosed as a faulty check valve in the fuel pump. Dealership is recommending a fuel pump assembly replacement for about $500. This problem has been ongoing for a couple of years. Is it safe to forgo the repair? Is it just more an annoyance issue or does this problem mean the fuel pump is going out and will result in a safety issue?

NissanTech 06-26-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Is it safe to forgo the repair?
Yes

Quote:

Is it just more an annoyance issue or does this problem mean the fuel pump is going out and will result in a safety issue?
No the problem, is just the valve and it shouldn't affect the electric pump.

carfan 06-27-2008 11:34 PM

Sorry I did not describe my concerns in greater detail. But, will the faulty check valve eventually result in my car completely not starting and leaving me stranded?

Or will the check valve die a slow death in which case it will give me fair warning when it eventually dies allowing me time to replace it rather than suddenly not starting at all.

Right now my problem happens maybe once every three or four starts. Sometimes it will go weeks without a problem. When the problem occurs, it takes about 4 extra seconds to crank versus other cars. I can live with the problem if it means saving a few hundred dollars. But, if this type of problem only gets worse ( and eventually the car will not start) than I might as well fix it now rather than spend the money later. Thank you for your advice.

tedopr 07-10-2008 02:04 PM

Recall

Nissan had make a Recall for the 2.5 Altimas, because crank sensor could fail when it's running, I knew about this, because my car start to do everything mentioned on this forum, I took my car to Nissan, and they have to reprogram the computer, I hope that this fix my car, because I paid for Crank & Cam sensors, and still with same issues.