Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   transmission fluid color (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/31959-transmission-fluid-color.html)

vica 05-11-2020 10:53 AM

transmission fluid color

The transmission fluid in my Frontier is clear in color. Where can I find replacement fluid?

Thanks

JRJoe 05-11-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vica (Post 108580)
The transmission fluid in my Frontier is clear in color. Where can I find replacement fluid?

Thanks

Nissan Parts Dept.

mpe235 05-17-2020 05:32 PM

The fluid should be red. You need matic j or matic s fluid.

Cusser 05-18-2020 06:54 AM

There are other sources than the dealer; Nissan does not have refineries, etc., they contract out for stuff like this.

Coming from the consumer products industry (40.5 years), I'll tell you that color of transmission fluid, coolant, oil, etc. is just a marketing ploy. Nissan would LOVE if folks went to the dealers for stuff with Nissan's name on it. 1/10 cent of dye makes folks think a certain type is "special".

JRJoe 05-18-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 108591)
There are other sources than the dealer; Nissan does not have refineries, etc., they contract out for stuff like this.

Coming from the consumer products industry (40.5 years), I'll tell you that color of transmission fluid, coolant, oil, etc. is just a marketing ploy. Nissan would LOVE if folks went to the dealers for stuff with Nissan's name on it. 1/10 cent of dye makes folks think a certain type is "special".

Hey Cusser,

The OP didn't say whether MT or AT, so I differed to Nissan Parts Dept. so they could figure it out.

I agree and I've Switched to Valvoline MaxLife ATF for NissanMatic S in my '13 AT.

Like you Said, Lot's of Game's and Gimmick's to Get us to spend more for the Same thing.

I wish that we all followed the 10 Commandment's, ie, Do Not Lie, Cheat, or Steal.

We are in a time now that some don't know what the 10 Commandment's are.

You've alway's try'd to help us Cusser and I really appreciate it. I've found that most onliner's just Want and Don't have time to Help.

Regards,

Cusser 05-19-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRJoe (Post 108593)
Hey Cusser,

The OP didn't say whether MT or AT, so I differed to Nissan Parts Dept. so they could figure it out.

He has 2011 Frontier and wrote transmission fluid, so I was guessing automatic with ATF.

JRJoe 05-20-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 108598)
He has 2011 Frontier and wrote transmission fluid, so I was guessing automatic with ATF.

Hey Cusser,

All True, and in the past transmission Fluid usually meant ATF, as far back as I can remember, however Nissan in the Service Manual now referr's to Manual Transmission Gear Oil as MTF Manual Transmission Fluid and in the Owner's Manual as Gear Oil and MTF ~ Manual Transmission Fluid.

I'm sure that you Guessed Right, but I wanted to let you know how Nissan seem's to be changeing the Oil and Fluid Terminalogy. It may not even be an intentional Change but somehow a Translation issue between the actual Lubricant's and intended use literature writer's. Nissan also referr's to the Manual Transmission Oil as MTF on the Container.

I don't know why the Change in Reference Terminology is changeing. I read the Service Manual quiet a bit now on different matter's and navigateing the communication's between Old and New needs clarification as change's are takeing place for whatever reasoning.

Just Guessing but it may have something to do with how other Countrie's refer to Gear Oil, MTF, & ATF, as our Globe is Shrinking in Size communication wise. It may also have something to do with the Phaseing Out of Manual Transmission's in Vehicle's that has been takeing place over time. Even Tractor's are switching over. 100 year's from now Many may not know what a Manual Transmission is or Was.

Regards,

danello 08-14-2020 01:26 AM

You can get a copy of the owner's manual here-- https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/50/