Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Versa (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/versa/)
-   -   Speedometer & Odometer Not Accurate (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/versa/31858-speedometer-odometer-not-accurate.html)

JCF 01-16-2020 06:45 AM

Speedometer & Odometer Not Accurate

Last summer I purchased a used 2011 Versa Hatchback and after a month of driving it I noticed that the speedometer and odometer were inaccurate. This was determined by driving a known route and later by comparing to a GPS.

The speedometer reads 93% of the actual speed. So if the speedometer indicates 65 MPH the actual speed is 70 MPH.

The odometer is indicating more mileage than actually traveled. The actual mileage is 96% of what is indicated by the odometer. On a trip of 421.7 miles (GPS) the odometer indicated 437.5 miles. That's 15.8 miles difference.

The tires are the correct size and pressure so I know that isn't the cause of the difference.

How do I get this fixed?

mpe235 01-18-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCF (Post 108336)
Last summer I purchased a used 2011 Versa Hatchback and after a month of driving it I noticed that the speedometer and odometer were inaccurate. This was determined by driving a known route and later by comparing to a GPS.

The speedometer reads 93% of the actual speed. So if the speedometer indicates 65 MPH the actual speed is 70 MPH.

The odometer is indicating more mileage than actually traveled. The actual mileage is 96% of what is indicated by the odometer. On a trip of 421.7 miles (GPS) the odometer indicated 437.5 miles. That's 15.8 miles difference.

The tires are the correct size and pressure so I know that isn't the cause of the difference.

How do I get this fixed?

There was a recall issued to fix that problem. You should contact a dealer to see if it was done on your vehicle.

JCF 01-21-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 108342)
There was a recall issued to fix that problem. You should contact a dealer to see if it was done on your vehicle.

I found out that the recall expired in April of 2019.
The local dealer said it would cost $130 + tax to reprogram it. Is that something that can be done as a DIY project or does it take specialized equipment?

mpe235 01-23-2020 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCF (Post 108366)
I found out that the recall expired in April of 2019.
The local dealer said it would cost $130 + tax to reprogram it. Is that something that can be done as a DIY project or does it take specialized equipment?

It requires 2 special tools to program .

JCF 01-29-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 108369)
It requires 2 special tools to program .

I took my car into the Nissan dealer this morning to get the speedometer
and odometer fixed. After all the info was looked up the estimated cost
jumped from $130 + tax to $260 + tax. The increase was because the fix
requires the instrument cluster needs to pulled out and and plugged into
another contraption that updates the firmware in a electronic device
located in the instrument cluster. He also said on rare occasions it
will fry the thing and then I would have to replace the cluster

What really concerns me more than the cost if the possibility of frying the unit.

Do you have any idea how common or rare that really is?

mpe235 01-30-2020 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCF (Post 108373)
I took my car into the Nissan dealer this morning to get the speedometer
and odometer fixed. After all the info was looked up the estimated cost
jumped from $130 + tax to $260 + tax. The increase was because the fix
requires the instrument cluster needs to pulled out and and plugged into
another contraption that updates the firmware in a electronic device
located in the instrument cluster. He also said on rare occasions it
will fry the thing and then I would have to replace the cluster

What really concerns me more than the cost if the possibility of frying the unit.

Do you have any idea how common or rare that really is?

I have never had a problem with one not working after the program. I have also never heard of that happening.

smj999smj 02-04-2020 10:55 AM

Usually doesn't happen...but, as we call in the industry: "covering their ass."