Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Quest (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/)
-   -   2011 Nissan Quest - Front Exhaust Pipe (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/31107-2011-nissan-quest-front-exhaust-pipe.html)

adamnasser 10-02-2018 08:37 AM

2011 Nissan Quest - Front Exhaust Pipe

Hi hoping someone can help me with something.

I have a 2011 Nissan Quest - Front Flex Pipe is leaking - have tried some fixes without luck.

Most of the muffler shops I have been at cannot even find a supplier with the pipe - so everyone tells me they can do a custom chop job, or I can find the pipe and bring it in.

Well I found the actual Nissan part number, which is 20020-1JA01.

However, I noticed Nissan seems to have a number of very similar parts all starting with 20020. They also all look (on screen) identical to the one I have on my van, but only the one that ends with 1JA01 shows as a fit for my van.

Are these pipes all basically the same, or is there slight differences? My van is great, but 7 years old. The dealer quoted me basically $2,000 to replace this part.

Any help much appreciated.

smj999smj 10-02-2018 02:58 PM

The first 5 digits of the part number is the group number. "20020" is the part group number for front exhaust pipes. The second 5 digits has more to do with the model of vehicle it's going on. So, don't read too much into the first part of the part number as the front exhaust pipe for your vehicle will look a lot like the same part for Maximas, Muranos and V6 Altimas, but they are different parts. For the Quest, 20020-1JA0A is the front pipe for Quests with a production date of 11/2010-9/2011. In 9/2011, they changed the part a little and the part number changed to 20020-1JR0A which lasted until 8/2014. Also, Nissan sometimes supercedes part numbers for any number of reasons, such as a changed in manufacturer for that part or an update to the same part. For example, oil filters 15208-9E000, 15209-31U00 and 15208-9E01A are all essentially the same outside of country of manufacture and are completely interchangeable. So, ignore the other 20020-***** part numbers.
To my knowledge, there is no aftermarket supplier for your pipe, so it's either get a new one from Nissan or have them repair you old pipe. If the pipe is otherwise okay other than the flex section and an exhaust shop can cut out your old flex section and weld in a new section, than that would be the most practical thing to do and the least expensive. The front pipe contains a catalytic converter, which helps explain the $1000 price for it, which doesn't include gaskets and any hardware needed.

adamnasser 10-02-2018 05:07 PM

2011 Nissan Quest - Front Exhaust Pipe

Thanks for all of the information - really helps.

Sorry 1 last question - should I be looking for part number 20020-1JA0A or 20020-1JR0A?

I know you mentioned they are slightly different - just want to confirm no issues replacing with either.

I will see if I can find one at a decent price - if not will see if someone can do a patch job - would prefer the replacement part as I just had the AC fully replaced (including all lines) under warranty, and replaced all rotors and brakes so hoping the vehicle will last another 2 or 3 years - not sure a patch job will last that long.

Thanks again for the reply - much appreciated.

smj999smj 10-04-2018 12:59 PM

You can find the production date of your Quest on the door jamb sticker and compare to the part number per production range I listed above. If you want to double-check, you can go to NissanPartsDeal.com and enter your vehicle's VIN and look up the part. More than likely it's the -1JA0A number because vehicles produced 09/2011 or later are likely 2012 and later models.