Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Nissan Z (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/nissan-z/)
-   -   Synthetic Oil (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/nissan-z/2936-synthetic-oil.html)

xCOMBATx 06-03-2007 10:05 PM

Synthetic Oil

I have a 2003 350Z Enthusiast with an oil leak that drips approximately 1 quart a month. Apparently, when I first bought my used car, I haven't had any oil leak problem until 3 to 4 months later when I started using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil 5W-30. I have currently 52,500 miles and most of the oil leak seems that it comes from the top of the Oil Filter Mount. I believe some might even come around the oil pan seal but it might be from the filter housing itself. Recently, I changed the oil pressure sending unit because it stop working and got under the car and couldn't tell the exact location of the leak. Anyone have ever notice where might this oil leak comes from? I'm also gonna go back to regular conventional oil 10W-40W since this damn synthetic oil acts like a gasket cleaner too. JEEEZ. Also, I know for a fact that this car was taken to nissan dealership for regular oil changes which they also use conventional oil.

Also, from now on, I will perform the oil changes by myself since Jiffy Lube put a "Performance" brand oil filter on my car. I did a search and couldn't find anything! Jiffy Lube had the bawlz to tell me that I must have hit something which I really don't believe because I would have heard a "clunk" or something. Plus oil filter and its housing sits pretty high from the lower end sway bar or whatever you wanna call it. I started noticing the oil leak from the 2nd oil change at Jiffy using synthetic. For your own safety, I would suggest anyone to do their own oil change. Never again will I take it there.

I'm not trying to bash synthetic oil but their "cleaning" agent must be a little too strong for cars that been running on conventional oil. I'm pretty sure it has a lot of benefits over conventional oil. I guess it's best to leave a car alone and not change the type of oil it uses once your start using from factory. Like the old saying goes, "If it's not broken, then don't fix it."

Also, Nissan Powertrain Warranty won't cover my leak. This is the last time I will buy a Nissan. This is my 3rd Nissan , love their cars, but their warranty must be the crapiest ever! They just lost a loyal customer. Just my 2 cents.

NissanZi 06-04-2007 07:59 AM

I use regular oil as well and never had any problems. Never go to Jiffy Lube, they hire mechanis from the street and pay them $6 and hour. Do you think those "mechanics" will care how much oil the engine takes?

Why is not cover under the powertrain?

phisig 06-11-2007 08:36 PM

I dunno if I would return to regular dino oil after running synthetic, get on my350z.com -- this topic has been beat to a dead horse on there

RHONDAS 02-10-2011 02:47 PM

Oil synthetic

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCOMBATx (Post 9247)
I have a 2003 350Z Enthusiast with an oil leak that drips approximately 1 quart a month. Apparently, when I first bought my used car, I haven't had any oil leak problem until 3 to 4 months later when I started using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil 5W-30. I have currently 52,500 miles and most of the oil leak seems that it comes from the top of the Oil Filter Mount. I believe some might even come around the oil pan seal but it might be from the filter housing itself. Recently, I changed the oil pressure sending unit because it stop working and got under the car and couldn't tell the exact location of the leak. Anyone have ever notice where might this oil leak comes from? I'm also gonna go back to regular conventional oil 10W-40W since this damn synthetic oil acts like a gasket cleaner too. JEEEZ. Also, I know for a fact that this car was taken to nissan dealership for regular oil changes which they also use conventional oil.

Also, from now on, I will perform the oil changes by myself since Jiffy Lube put a "Performance" brand oil filter on my car. I did a search and couldn't find anything! Jiffy Lube had the bawlz to tell me that I must have hit something which I really don't believe because I would have heard a "clunk" or something. Plus oil filter and its housing sits pretty high from the lower end sway bar or whatever you wanna call it. I started noticing the oil leak from the 2nd oil change at Jiffy using synthetic. For your own safety, I would suggest anyone to do their own oil change. Never again will I take it there.

I'm not trying to bash synthetic oil but their "cleaning" agent must be a little too strong for cars that been running on conventional oil. I'm pretty sure it has a lot of benefits over conventional oil. I guess it's best to leave a car alone and not change the type of oil it uses once your start using from factory. Like the old saying goes, "If it's not broken, then don't fix it."

Also, Nissan Powertrain Warranty won't cover my leak. This is the last time I will buy a Nissan. This is my 3rd Nissan , love their cars, but their warranty must be the crapiest ever! They just lost a loyal customer. Just my 2 cents.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
for whats its worth my pathfinder manual with a VQ35 engine states in writing do not use a synthetic oil in this engine

Spy007 02-23-2011 06:01 PM

If it's under warranty have your dealer fix it.

RHONDAS 02-24-2011 07:53 AM

Look If I specifies not to use a synthetic in the owners manual then don't ,do you really think Nissan isn't aware of these things. just a thought so change it a 3K ,just stay away from any fast lube joint .