Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   Leaking Power steering Fluid (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/28473-leaking-power-steering-fluid.html)

wedo43 06-01-2016 06:43 PM

Leaking Power steering Fluid

I have a 2001 Frontier 4x4 3.3L, with a couple of issues.
Most pressing is Leaking Power steering Fluid. I can see the reservior but not the hose.
Anyone out there have any experience with this?

Another issue is the AC system. The compressor comes on and off in a seemingly random manor. Ive taken to a respected mechanic that has twicereplaced the high pressure hose. Both times the problem came back within a month. Ive checked freon, replaced the compressor relay, but not sure where to go from there.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Cusser 06-02-2016 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedo43 (Post 99416)
I have a 2001 Frontier 4x4 3.3L, with a couple of issues. Most pressing is Leaking Power steering Fluid. I can see the reservoir but not the hose. Anyone out there have any experience with this?

I've had to tighten hose clamps on the PS hoses near the reservoir on my 1998 and daughter's 1998 Pathfinder. Also check the PS pump seal itself for leakage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedo43 (Post 99416)
Another issue is the AC system. The compressor comes on and off in a seemingly random manor. Ive taken to a respected mechanic that has twice replaced the high pressure hose. Both times the problem came back within a month. Ive checked freon, replaced the compressor relay, but not sure where to go from there.

First of all, your 2001 has R134a, not freon (DuPont R-12). You need to check whether the compressor is getting 12 volts positive when it shuts off, to determine whether it's an electrical issue or an issue in the AC compressor clutch itself (too-wide of gap, bad electromagnetic coil, etc.); also make sure the nut/bolt on the end of the compressor is tight, once had intermittent just caused by that loosening (on a different truck).

On my 1988 Mazda truck, I actually wired up a dash light in parallel with the compressor wire, to alert me when the compressor was getting voltage, helped me track down that loose compressor clutch nut.

The only way to "check" refrigerant level is to pull it out and weigh it using an expensive piece of equipment.

Don't add ANY sealer to an AC system !!!!

smj999smj 06-03-2016 08:52 PM

One should note, the compressor clutch cycles "on" and "off" by design. It's hard to determine by your description if it is not operating properly or just normal operation. If the clutch didn't cycle, the high pressure side could get too high until a hose would burst.
There should be two hoses on the reservoir, both at the bottom. A larger hose is called the "suction hose" and runs from the reservoir to the pump. A smaller hose services as a return hose and runs from the metal line back to the reservoir.
When these trucks get older, hoses will harden or dry rot and clamps can lose tension. Crimps on pressure hoses can also start to leak. Sometimes you can tighten or replace a clamp but sometimes you need to replace the hose. I recently bought a 2003 Frontier SVE and just about everything but the steering box was leaking! It has 197,000 miles, though. The suction hose is still available from Nissan, but the return hose to the reservoir is only available if you buy an entire power steering line setup, which I did because it made more sense, in the long run and since I was pulling the radiator out, it made it easier. You can use bulk, 3/8" ID, power steering hose, though, for the return hose. Also check the front seal on the P/S pump and around the pump body gasket, as they commonly leak, as well. Pump reseal kits are cheap and not too hard to rebuild. Also, don't use "clear" power steering fluid. Stick with automatic transmission fluid, like Dexron III/Mercon.

wedo43 09-01-2016 02:32 PM

Power Steering leak

Thanks for the help guys. just now getting to it.

like smj999smj,I bought the entire power steering line setup,My truck is a 4x4 and there is virtually no room to work with in getting to the drivers side connection.

I am currently removing the alternator in hope of clearing some space, as it resides above where the line ties back in.

Thanks again for the help guys and I appreciate any words of wisdom you or anyone else out there has to share.

smj999smj 09-01-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedo43 (Post 100203)
Thanks for the help guys. just now getting to it.

like smj999smj,I bought the entire power steering line setup,My truck is a 4x4 and there is virtually no room to work with in getting to the drivers side connection.

I am currently removing the alternator in hope of clearing some space, as it resides above where the line ties back in.

Thanks again for the help guys and I appreciate any words of wisdom you or anyone else out there has to share.

You can get to the lines on top of the power steering pump through the driver's front wheel well. Remove the rubber splash shield out of the way and use a line wrench; I had to install a pipe on the end of the line wrench to help break it loose, but, after it broke loose, it was easy to thread out. I had the radiator out of the way, which makes it a lot easier. You don't need to remove the alternator.

Hermanzambia 07-31-2018 11:56 PM

I have a Nissan Elgrand AVWE5-0003722 Power steering box was leaking, replaced the seals but now the steering is heavy