Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   squeaky suspension (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/2847-squeaky-suspension.html)

prstevens 05-25-2007 05:57 PM

squeaky suspension

My 2005 Frontier XE Crew Cab has a squeak somewhere in the front end. I'm not sure if it's suspension, strut, frame, brakes or what. I only hear it at low speed (15 mph or slower). It sounds more like an old car that needs grease but, of course, there are no alemites to grease. I've squirted 3 or 4 cans of white grease on everything that even looks like it might be a problem... no luck in solving the problem. One additional item is that it seems to be more prominent when turning to the left. Could this be related to the brake problems that Nissan already knows about?

mpe235 05-26-2007 03:40 AM

Open the hood and check the a/c lines back near the fire wall. For some reason Nissan has put a ground stap on the a/c line, it just clips to the pipe and tends to move back and make contact with the body of the truck. If you find that this is the problem my suggestion would be to remove it. It is going to cause more problems over time. It will either rub through the line or corrode the line and cause a leak.

pepperminttribe 06-04-2007 10:54 AM

I have a 2005 Frontier Crew 4X4 and have the exact same problem. No one (dealerships included) has been able to find the problem. The squeak is driving me crazy. Also, it should not be a wearing out issue. The problem started at about 18,000 kms when the truck was 1 year old (one year ago).

I will look into the above suggestions.

Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks
w

prstevens 06-23-2007 09:44 AM

squeaky suspension solved

I thought it was a suspension problem... well, it turned out NOT to be suspension but an hood hinge!

True enough, the sound was just like something from underneath but the dealer found it AND solved the problem.

My wife is happy now!:clap:

df_Frontier 07-18-2007 09:03 PM

Same here....

I took my truck in as well to the dealership and they said it was a leaf brushing that needed to be replaced and replaced it but the noise was still there... I read the forums and found out it was my Hood as well go figure. Maybe the dealership techs should read the forms!

NissanTech 07-19-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by df_Frontier (Post 11271)
I took my truck in as well to the dealership and they said it was a leaf brushing that needed to be replaced and replaced it but the noise was still there... I read the forums and found out it was my Hood as well go figure. Maybe the dealership techs should read the forms!

Excellent, thanks for posting.

drasticfrontier 08-29-2007 06:16 AM

squeek

Front torsion bars. Its a bad design. Nothing you can really do. Lots of grease.

kels83 02-07-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prstevens (Post 9971)
I thought it was a suspension problem... well, it turned out NOT to be suspension but an hood hinge!

I second this- I had a squeak that I thought was caused by my suspension but it ended up being the hood. Just squirt some oil on the hinge and turn the rubber grommets on each edge of the hood to tighten things up!

I researched this extensively and another overlooked problem is the pulley that holds up the spare tire. I know it sounds silly because these problems are so simple, but save yourself some time and check both of these before you start looking at the supsension.

nimnifnof 02-11-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drasticfrontier (Post 12921)
Front torsion bars. Its a bad design. Nothing you can really do. Lots of grease.

05+ doesn't have torsion bars. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kels83 (Post 19696)
I second this- I had a squeak that I thought was caused by my suspension but it ended up being the hood. Just squirt some oil on the hinge and turn the rubber grommets on each edge of the hood to tighten things up!

I researched this extensively and another overlooked problem is the pulley that holds up the spare tire. I know it sounds silly because these problems are so simple, but save yourself some time and check both of these before you start looking at the supsension.

Same squeaking issue in my 06 Xterra. It was the hood bumpstops/rubber grommets squeaking. Turned them up a few twist and it's gone. Dunno about Frontier, but the X has three of them. One on each side and one in the middle near the hood latch.

kdsdaddy 02-11-2008 12:32 PM

Had tried all the 'home grown' remedies but nothing corrected the squeak coming from the front end of my 05 crew cab. After 2 years I broke down and took it in the dealer. Turned out to be the hood latch. The service tech drove around the lot and could hear the squeak. So he undid the hood and stuck his head out the window to try to pinpoint it. Voila, the squeak was gone. Hood latch just needed a good lube. Hope this helps.

mpfry2001 04-17-2008 06:28 AM

The Inner fender (plastic) will rub on the back edge of the front bumper, try cutting about 1/4 in from inner fender and it should do the trick!

apache_46 05-12-2008 04:48 PM

I have one more thing that I discovered in case all that is offered here fails. I have a 2005 Nismo 4x4 and I also had a squeak in the front end. Tried everything to do with the suspension and hood hinges/latches. Turns out the squeak is coming from the rubber bushings that are part of the radiator support. Periodically I have to spray silicon lubricant on the bushings by accessing through the wheel well and it stops for a time.

Hope this helps someone.

-Kel

woopig 08-21-2008 07:35 AM

i had the same noise was well and it was my stoppers on the hood. one twist and the noise is now gone.

tech22 08-22-2008 05:19 PM

Note; 05 and above frontiers do not have torsion bar suspension, however, the lower rubber insulator on the front springs can work themselves out and allow the spring to make metal to metal contact.

jdragu 08-11-2010 01:59 PM

Loose Grommets / Squeaky Hinges

Quote:

Originally Posted by kels83 (Post 19696)

Yup, that did it for my '05 X.

Thanks a bunch, you saved me a ton of frustration. :thumbsup: