Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Pathfinder (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/)
-   -   Rear WHEEL CYLINDER Need Suggestions!!! (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/26509-rear-wheel-cylinder-need-suggestions.html)

02SurfPathy 12-03-2013 06:13 AM

Rear WHEEL CYLINDER Need Suggestions!!!

I'm back again because everyone is so helpful and I will try to make this short!

8 months ago I had my front brakes redone and a "clean & adjust rear brakes overall". Today my Pathy was in for oil change and rotate the tires. I have now been informed that the rear brakes were leaking.
A week ago I had my Pathy at the Nissan dealership for the airbag recall and they did their 20 something point inspection. Nissan did not notice any leak.

My question to the guys today was why haven't I noticed any brake fluid in my clean garage. I was told that the fluid is leaking into the boots. My question for you pros is, when rotating the tires, can the tech notice/see that the rear brakes leaking into the boots.

I guess the only good thing about this is that they say the rear brakes are down to 5/32 so they are suggesting to have them replaced at the same time.

Someone told me that 5/32 on drums still have a lot of mileage left, is that correct??

I like these guys but something does not seem right, someone please let me know if something smells fishy!!! Odd that during the past 8 months, I bought a set of tires and had them installed and had the front brakes replaced and the rears adjusted and cleaned and they didn't say anything then!!!

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Cusser 12-03-2013 05:57 PM

Oftentimes you can see brake wheel cylinder leakage by looking at the brake backplate. But not always.

I wouldn't trust someone's judgment of how much lining was remaining unless I trusted them AND they removed the rear drums. Removal of the drums is not that tough (going by my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder); after removing the wheels and backing off the adjustment a bit, two 8.0mm x 30mm bolts can be threaded in and tightened alternatively to "pull" the drum off.

Basically what I'm saying: some of this stuff is not that difficult to learn how to do yourself. You'll do a better job, because you care. And if a wheel cylinder is truly leaking, then better to fix it soon before fluid gets on the brake linings (because then you'll need new brake shoes anyway); R&R of wheel cylinders then bleeding is not that involved.

The rule of I use on my own vehicles is that if I only have shoe or pad wear and no other braking problems, I do not get my rotors or drums turned. Because they can only be turned down a few times, then are below the wear limit (legal liability/safety).

If I was a shop I'd require turning or new hardware, so I could warranty my work.