Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Pathfinder (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/)
-   -   Location of Trailer Wiring Harness (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/11652-location-trailer-wiring-harness.html)

BazPath 05-24-2009 03:34 AM

Location of Trailer Wiring Harness

Hi All,

My first post here.

I bought a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with a 4.0L V6 last year. The Pathfinder is sold by the dealer here (Dubai) which is imported from the US. The car did not come with an OEM wiring harness for the trailer.

I bought the 7 PIN wiring harness during my last trip to the US, but I am having a problem with locating where the adapter fits? Is it under the car or in the trunk?

If any one has a photo of the underside of the car and can point at the location, that would be great. Alternatively, a description should suffice, assuming the cars have the same wiring, and they should!

Your assistance would be highly appreciated.

mpe235 05-24-2009 08:02 AM

There are 2 locations you need to connect wiring to. Under the rear of the vehicle on the left side frame rail (left side if you are sitting in the vehicle) you will see 2 plugs. The 7 pin connector goes there. Next you should have a relay box under the hood by the battery. You will need to install a couple relays in the box for the trailer lights to work.

BazPath 05-24-2009 09:40 PM

There is a big black box that sits on the left side of the car behind the frame and right behind the rear wheel well, is this the location you are referring to? There is just one gray plug that is already plugged in there with no other loose plugs (either female or male). Do I try to take this plug out and have it routed through the new 7 pin harness? Is that how it is supposed to be installed? Any pictures or diagrams of either the plugs or location would be appreciated.

As for the relays under the hood, I though one only needed relays (under the steering column) if they needed to have a brake controller, which I do not need since I have surge brakes on my trailer.

Would you have the part numbers for those relays that need to be installed under the hood?

Thanks again for your help in this.

need2own1 05-28-2009 07:12 AM

7 Pin Harness Connection

Not knowing the part number of your 7 pin harness, I will assume the number is 999T8-XR000 or 999T8-XR004.
Located just behind left rear wheel well, along the frame, there should be a square, gray female receptacle, I would guess there is a removable male plug now in that location, held in by the retaining clips (mine came with a flat 4 trailer harness in the gray plug).
Toward the front of truck, just behind the axle, only a couple of inches forward of the gray plug, is a smaller 2 wire flat black female receptacle with a removable male plug, held in with the retaining clips.
Also see NTSB05-075 on this forum in reference to the relay needed, and check the link below for diagrams and reference to the jumper harness located under the dash that is also needed.
Be sure you have the jumper and be sure you have the correct relay, other wise this will not work with the 7 pin harness.

Receiver Hitch, Tow Harness Kit (7-Pin) - 2005 to 2007 Pathfinder :: CourtesyParts

BazPath 05-30-2009 09:42 PM

Hi there. The 7 pin Nissan harness I purchased is the same one that can be found in the link you provided.

I can see a grey male plug going into a female plug on top of a big black box right behind the wheel well, but I could not see the "2 wire flat black female reseptacle". Will I need to take off the lining or the bog black box to have better access to that location? I will go under and see what else is in there, but I looked :(

I am still assuming that the two plugs from the harness will plug into 1) the existing plug on top of the big black box (I still have no idea what that is for?) and 2) the smaller plug will fit into the smaller female plug you just described? If you have a picture of what I need to look for under there, it would be of great help.

It still baffles me why our Nissan Pathfinders did not come with the proper wiring!!! Although I do not have no need for a brake controller, do I still need to install a jumper in the fuse box as I had read earlier?

Thanks.

BazPath 05-31-2009 04:31 AM

Bump :biggrin2:

need2own1 06-01-2009 05:08 AM

Forget the BLack Box

The Black Box has NOTHING to do with the harness installation, forget about the black box it is on the OUTBOARD side of the frame, find the wiring harness running along the INBOARD side of the FRAME, closest to the spare tire. You may have to drop the spare to have room to see the forward connection and do the required work.
There are TWO separate female connections, if you do not need brakes you could skip the smaller flat connection. You will still have to check the relay for the proper part number.

BazPath 06-01-2009 05:35 AM

I guess this may be a bigger problem that I thought :( I will check again today, but I am 99% sure I did not see any female connections on the inside part of the frame. Assuming that is the case, which wires should I tap into to achive the desired result of having power for my trailer lights? Thanks.

mpe235 06-01-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BazPath (Post 40815)
I guess this may be a bigger problem that I thought :( I will check again today, but I am 99% sure I did not see any female connections on the inside part of the frame. Assuming that is the case, which wires should I tap into to achive the desired result of having power for my trailer lights? Thanks.

OK lay on your back under the rear of the truck. Look up at the spare tire. Look to your right at the frame rail. You will see the connectors with wires only going into one side. The other side has a blank plug that you have to take out to plug the connectors in. You can't miss them.

If you are not seeing them they are probably not there. Is this a 2wd model?

BazPath 06-01-2009 08:03 PM

Went under the car last night and nothing! There are no loose plugs anywhere that I can plug the Nissan harness into. This is a 2007 US made Nissan Pathfinder with the 4.0L engine, but prepped for the Middle East market. It is obvious that the wiring is simply not there given that the dealer saved a few bucks in the process. I actually had to replace the rear bumper frame with the part from the US that has the hitch to enable me to tow my trailer!

Given that we have now established that the OEM trailer pre-wiring does not exist, can you please provide me with advice as to where and how to tap into existing wires to power the Nissan or any other Harness for my trailer lights?

The only other plug I saw was the one on top of the aforementioned black box right behind the wheel well, it had three wires going into it, blue, white and black, not sure if this helps at all.

It appears that I will have to splice into existing wiring somewhere to achieve this, not my favorite option, but I am towing a big railer and I need to ensure safety on the road.

Thanks.

mpe235 06-01-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BazPath (Post 40857)
Went under the car last night and nothing! There are no loose plugs anywhere that I can plug the Nissan harness into. This is a 2007 US made Nissan Pathfinder with the 4.0L engine, but prepped for the Middle East market. It is obvious that the wiring is simply not there given that the dealer saved a few bucks in the process. I actually had to replace the rear bumper frame with the part from the US that has the hitch to enable me to tow my trailer!

Given that we have now established that the OEM trailer pre-wiring does not exist, can you please provide me with advice as to where and how to tap into existing wires to power the Nissan or any other Harness for my trailer lights?

The only other plug I saw was the one on top of the aforementioned black box right behind the wheel well, it had three wires going into it, blue, white and black, not sure if this helps at all.

It appears that I will have to splice into existing wiring somewhere to achieve this, not my favorite option, but I am towing a big railer and I need to ensure safety on the road.

Thanks.

It looks like the wiring kit you have is not going to work. You will need to buy a universal kit with a powered convertor and splice into the wiring at the lights.I usually splice in at the tail lights on the harness that goes to the bulbs. That way if there is ever a problem you can replace just the 12 inch tail light harness instead of the body harness.

Plug-N-Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Trailer Connector 43605 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com This site shows one for the xterra which I am pretty sure is wired the same. It doesn't require any splicing. All you have to do is run a power wire to the battery and connect the ground wire to something metal in the back.

BazPath 06-01-2009 09:12 PM

Thanks for the link, if you are sure that the plugs will match those in the Nissan Pathfinder tail lights, I will order it and give it a shot, connecting to the main battery and finding a grounding point should not be terribly difficult. I will take a picture of the plugs behind the Nissan Pathfinder's tail lights and post them to be safe. Can we post pictures here?

Is there any way I can connect this to the 7 pin Nissan harness that I brought, or did I pretty much loose that one? I will also need a five pin instead of a four pin to deactivate the surge brakes on my trailer.

dsm0274 06-25-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by need2own1 (Post 40643)
Not knowing the part number of your 7 pin harness, I will assume the number is 999T8-XR000 or 999T8-XR004.
Located just behind left rear wheel well, along the frame, there should be a square, gray female receptacle, I would guess there is a removable male plug now in that location, held in by the retaining clips (mine came with a flat 4 trailer harness in the gray plug).
Toward the front of truck, just behind the axle, only a couple of inches forward of the gray plug, is a smaller 2 wire flat black female receptacle with a removable male plug, held in with the retaining clips.
Also see NTSB05-075 on this forum in reference to the relay needed, and check the link below for diagrams and reference to the jumper harness located under the dash that is also needed.
Be sure you have the jumper and be sure you have the correct relay, other wise this will not work with the 7 pin harness.

Receiver Hitch, Tow Harness Kit (7-Pin) - 2005 to 2007 Pathfinder :: CourtesyParts

i was wondering about this myself---i found the harness that the 4 prong is plugged into on my '05 pathy and the secondary harness is tight next to it--i assume this is for trailer brakes but does it also include aux. poer for the trailer or is that something i have to do myself? also this looks like the wiring will be pretty straight forward but were do i mount the new receptical so that itis attached securly to the car and also somewhat easily accessable?? i noticed to pre-tapped hole on the underside if that trailer hitch not too far too the driver side of the vehicle is the a mounting spot?? loks like that spare tire may impede the wires from the back sie of the new receptical? if anyone has a picture of their aplication that would help alot. i also looked for the pre-wire for the trailer brake under the dash on the driverside and i found 2-3 wire bundles not hooked to anything--is the one taped to the diagnostic plug with just 2 wires?? the other one was way up over the parking brake

BazPath 08-12-2009 12:27 AM

Hi, still no wiring for my hitch :( Can someone please take a photo under the car to show me where I can tap in to feed the 7 pin OEM harness I bought from Nissan. I am scared to death when I tow my boat ! ! ! Appreciate your help.

Another option would be to simply tap into the existing wires for the brakes, is it possible?

dsm0274 08-12-2009 06:41 PM

this probably isn't what your looking for but maybe this will help a little

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/diy-p...athfinder.html