Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Maxima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/)
-   -   wet sanding paint finish (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/10119-wet-sanding-paint-finish.html)

Tschroll 01-12-2009 03:34 PM

wet sanding paint finish

Does anyone know what affect it will have on my paint in the future if I have the Swirl marks taken out of the clearcoat by wet sanding?

This is a process where they remove clear coat until marks go away.

For example, if there are 25 microns of clearcoat then they are only able to take away 10-13 microns before it starts to affect the paint warranty.

sergey85 01-12-2009 06:04 PM

have tryed taking it to a detail shop and have it buffed and waxed i wouldnt try that, if anything have someone who knows what they are doing.

xterramexico05 01-12-2009 06:31 PM

wet sanding...

dont wet sand your paint!!!!! your simply asking for trouble...
go back to the dealer where you purchased your car and see if any other new models have swirl marks....... then if they do, tell the manager you want your swirl marks removed...
i was at a lincoln dealership and all their black town cars had swirl marks from their washing

the swirl marks are end results from washing the car..... somewhere along the way a mistake is being done washing your car....

dont use your hand sope to wash the car, such as dawn- it will remove your wax on the paint...
purchase a soap for auto washing....

to remove the swirls marks you will probably want it done professionally..... starting with 3m liquid rubbing compound (1200 mesh) or you can look for the 3m perfec-it with a buffing machine.. using the special meguiars red foam cutting pad

follow with meguiars 3 step crystal system.... wich can be applyed by hand.... it comes very easy.....

you can learn a lot about detailing on meguiars web-site...

good luck

Tschroll 01-13-2009 04:55 PM

i have tried to have the dealership handle it, they have had a professional detailer buff it twice and we have put a diamond gloss sealant on it. It is out of the dealerships hands and they have sent me to Nissan directly through their claims process. Nissan said they want me to wet sand the car to get the swirl marks out of it, and this is after a rep flew in to look at the car. If they wet sand it then they will remove most of the clear coat, if I was to do it then I think they should reapply the diamond gloss sealant to provide an extra layer of protection due to the wet sanding.

sergey85 01-14-2009 12:49 PM

yeah definatly dont do it yourslef this is why u paid for the car to have the warranty tell them they need to do it, so if something happens they cant say "we cant fix it caue u messed up" keep contacting the nissans claims people

mpe235 01-14-2009 03:08 PM

Is the car black? If it is you will never permanently get rid of swirl marks. It is inherent to that color. You can get rid of them for a while but even washing it will make them return. If you are really concerned with swirl marks you may want to consider a light color like silver or white, the swirl marks are far less noticeable.

Tschroll 01-16-2009 11:48 AM

The car is white, I believe it is called Winter Frost

mpe235 01-17-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tschroll (Post 34734)
The car is white, I believe it is called Winter Frost

It's white and you can see swirl marks? That's a new one to me. I have never seen swirl marks on a white car before.

kgp02se 01-19-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 34791)
It's white and you can see swirl marks? That's a new one to me. I have never seen swirl marks on a white car before.

He is probably looking at it at night. If you look at a street light through the hood or roof at night you can see them plain as day. I have a MVL on the front of my house and every morning when I leave for work I can see the swirls on my hood. The best thing to do is buff them out using a cleaner wax and then follow with a carnuba. It is labor intensive but the outcome is worth it. Also, stay out of automated and coin car washes. Those brushes and things are almost never cleaned. They will line you up behind a 4x4 that just had a fun Saturday night, and you get to help clean all that dirt out of their brushes.:cry:

Tschroll 01-23-2009 09:22 AM

You are right you can see them clearly under street lights at night but you can also see them at an angle in the daylight. Buffing out did not work Nissan is having the car wet sanded to take them out. I will let you know how it looks.

kgp02se 01-27-2009 03:23 AM

Let us know how it turns out. If nothing else when they are done wet sanding and buffing you are half-way done with the prep for a new coat of clear anyway.:biggrin2: