Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off! Forums > > 97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off! 97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
loewens

Default 97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!

I just want to pass on what has just recently happened to my '97 pathfinder. The front strut tower, which is an integral part of the unitbody construction, has rusted from inside the wheel well and separated from the front stub-frame. This has effectively left my pathfinder undrivable because this is like having a top balljoint blowout on a regular vehicle without struts. As far as I can tell it is going to be some serious repairs at at body shop to fix what would be a do-it-yourself $50 repair on a vehicle with a top ball joint. I am very dissappointed with the poor design strength of this very critical part of body construction. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know how you repaired it. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
2001 Pathfinder

I just had this happen on the weekend to my 2001 V6 4x4 XE. It caused my steering shaft to snap as the strut tower came out and pushed on it sideways. So there I was with suddenly NO steering. This is a huge safety issue - lucky for me I was leaving a stop sign and not on the highway. If any of you have an R50 pathy (1997-2002) and you live anywhere they use salt look inside your wheel well where the shock tower attaches - mine is rusted at the front but without it's strengh the rest of the non rusted spot welds where torn out!! the stupid design has the metal overlap on the wrong side so the only thing keeping to two pieces together is the tiny spot welds.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
rover109

I am in the same boat and frustrated because it doesn't appear reparable. I have a 98 pathfinder and the drive train, engine, and rest of the vehicle are fine. I was offered $400 from a auto salvage place. Doesn't seem fair. I agree to the poor design comment but feel the steel quality is truly lacking here. Nissan has to have hundreds (if not thousands) of complaints about this.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM
bmatzkow

Can any of you please post a picture of this?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 AM
rover109

I have attached photos from under the left wheel well, the right side is similar
A vehicle should not rot out so quickly. They shouldn't be manufactured as "disposable items"... not at the prices paid these days.
Attached Thumbnails
97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!-dscf2451-jpg   97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!-dscf2452-jpg   97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!-dscf2450-jpg   97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!-dscf2448-jpg  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
bmatzkow

What do you think can be done to check to see if this is happening to your vehicle? Is there any preventative measures that can be taken to avoid or offset this condition? Thanks for the photos.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
bernardov

Default 2001 Pathfinder - front left strut tower rusted off

Well Folks,

I just had to me last weekend to my 2001 V6 SE. It also caused my steering shaft to snap as the left strut tower came out and pushed on it sideways. Hmmm does this not sound familiar "SO THERE I WAS SUDDENLY WITH NO STEERING" lucky for me I was going 25 kph on a municipal road, and was able to stop without incident. I agree with you all this is a major safety issue. There must be something we can do to prevent future occurences of this type. Has anyone approach Nissan with this problem ? If so what has Nissan's response been ? I also agree - It is a stupid design, and poorly thought out. I am angry, and frustrated. I have taken the pathfinder to a few body shops and they all tell me the same thing - it is not repairable. Please if anyone has suggestions on repairing the vehicle, or what recourse can be obtained from Nissan I would greatly appreciate it.

Take Care,
Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 PM
nissaneric

I am taking mine to have it fixed next weekend, was told it was a pretty common occurrence for the body-shop to fix them on Chryslers a lot. he gave an estimate of $900. shouldn't happen, but all vehicles are susceptible to rust unfortunately :( and mine is a LOT worse than that, I could put a mini basketball through my hole lol!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 AM
sunshine1

Default Scary shock tower

This can be repaired by a fabricator. Fortunately, I know a guy who makes bodies for race cars and he is doing the repair.

There is no doubt about the severity of the danger to anyone driving on the road due to this design flaw!!! I am going after Nissan. This is deadly serious business!! Can you say National Transportation Safety Board??!!!!

I must admit that I was stunned when I realized that my strut tower was shearing and I was rolling around in a death trap. One more trip down the highway could have been curtains for myself and who knows how many more innocent people.

This uncorrosion protected unibody design is a time bomb!!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
nissaneric

I know people can get upset over this, it makes sense. but at the same time, I am not really sure it is Nissans fault. I know it sucks and it would be great if something can be done, but here in NH we have safety inspection once a year for just such issues. I am having mine repaired right now, look at a Nissan parts fiche and the inner apron (strut tower) is a replaceable "collision" part. should not need a fabricator to fix it. my $.02
Old 07-17-2010, 05:04 AM
sunshine1

Default Not a collision issue

Eric, This is most definately not a collision issue. I picked up my Pathfinder yesterday and The welder did a great job, so now I can sleep at night. This is absolutely a recall issue. This is a very poor design and a disaster waiting to happen. I am a contractor and I have insurance for my work called completed operations insurance. This insurance covers any mistake that I may have made that may appear in the future. I realize that you like Nissans. Alot of people like Toyotas also.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:53 AM
nissaneric

all Iwas saying was that you can buy the whole strut tower and it is listed as a collision part. so while it was not caused by collision, the part is replaceable. anyone that tells you it cant be fixed either is beyond their skill set or is misinformed. and honestly, I think most of the Toyota stuff is crap, and most people have been proven to be lying and simply trying to scam toyota. not saying that there is zero fault for Nissan or toyota, just that not everything can have blame assigned.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
sunshine1

Eric, That is $3500 repair per side...........
Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
nissaneric

mine will be done next week for $900, you are getting ripped off! did you get an estimate? what were they replacing? it is a part that can be welded in!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM
nissaneric

I just got the call (parts took longer to get than they expected) and the total came to $1108. lifetime guarantee and nice and solid. will post before and after pics once I get down to pick it up.