Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off! Forums > > 97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off! 97 pathfinder front strut tower rusted off!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
dlowry

Just had this happen to a 2001 pathfinder my son drives. When it gave-way, it broke the lower streering shaft in half while he was driving around a turn. Filed a complaint with the NHTSA (888) 327-4236 but they don't check out the internet to see how many folks have had this problem; they only look for complaints in their system there. So if you have had this problem, you should definately file a complaint so there is sufficient evidence to warrent a recall.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
nissaneric

honestly, I am surprised at how people dont realize there is an issue until it breaks. mine was steering pretty hard with the tower pushing on the steering. sorry to hear it happened, hope he is ok!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
dlowry

Fortunately he was going under 30 around a turn and was able to stop the car. The signal we could have picked up on was that the LF tire was wearing very unevenly on the outside... probably as things were starting to bend. The dealership said it looked like the steering shaft had been rubbing on the strut tower for at least a little shile.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM
dlowry

The NHTSA just opened an investigation into this. Google: "NHTSA PE11004" for details.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
nissaneric

interesting. wonder how it would affect me, as I have already had mine repaired...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
dlowry

I already paid for my repairs too - around $5k. Not sure if we can hope for reimbursement, but it only seems fair.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
kindsambo

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend. Driverside strut failed due the the strut housing/wheelwell rusting out. This should ne be happening with such an expensive SUV. This is a very dangerous situation where it's a matter of tiem before someone gets killed.

This is my last Nissan.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
nissaneric

I wouldnt be afraid of other nissans, they have a pretty decent reliability record. just a bum deal with this particular model
Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 AM
dlowry

Be sure to report it to NHTSA. All it takes is a phone call.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
2001 Pathfinder

So, today in the paper (here in Canada) - there is a recall for this specific issue!

I googled it too and there are several news postings about the recall. I called Nissan Canada and they don't list it for my VIN - WTF!! They say it's a VIN specific not model year specific recall. I suspect they haven't updated their database yet as the news postings say recall notices won't go out until May 16.

With other recalls the manuf. will usually reimburse you for some or all of the repairs.

If you have had it fixed yourself - call your dealer or Nissan US/Canada and post your experience here.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrh2o View Post
So, today in the paper (here in Canada) - there is a recall for this specific issue!

I googled it too and there are several news postings about the recall. I called Nissan Canada and they don't list it for my VIN - WTF!! They say it's a VIN specific not model year specific recall. I suspect they haven't updated their database yet as the news postings say recall notices won't go out until May 16.

With other recalls the manuf. will usually reimburse you for some or all of the repairs.

If you have had it fixed yourself - call your dealer or Nissan US/Canada and post your experience here.
Wait a couple weeks and call again. We were told in the U.S that it will not show when we run the vin # for a little while until they get them loaded into the system.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
nissaneric

I will absolutely be calling about it, any part (or all I hope!!) of the $1200 it cost to get it fixed would be AWESOME. heard it on the news this morning as well
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
2001 Pathfinder

I called Nissan Canada back to update the owner information so that I get any recall notice that might be sent. Got the same pissy answer when they ran my VIN and didn't get the recall for me - operator did say she had others call who where covered by the recall. So I'll wait a little bit but then I'm going to small claims court - or the media since this is more severe than the Toyota stuck pedal recall (was due to the carpet and could be solved by good driving technique - i.e. slapping the gear shift on ANY car gets you into neutral). When my steering column broke I had NO steering, I was lucky to be close to home leaving a stop sign barely moving - I had just gotten off a 30 minute highway drive do 60mph

Last edited by undrh2o; 04-26-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Tags
front, pathfinder, rusted, strut, tower