Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation Forums > > 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 PM

1998 Pathfinder

Default 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation

If you do not want to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds you can relocate the new knock sensor as follows:

1. You will need to buy a knock sensor stub harness for a Maxima, part number 24079-31U01 about $23.00 from Nissan.
2. Install your new KS on to the top of the intake manifold as shown, you will need to get a longer bolt. Do not over Torque the bolt.
3. Locate the existing wire harness on the right valve cover (left in pic) and with a razor blade cut open the harness being careful not to cut wires inside (some of the fuel injector wires are also in this same harness).
4.Remove the connector from the end of the new stub harness that is not used to connect to new KS and splice the existing KS wire and shield to the new KS stub harness wire and shield.
5. Clear codes in computer if required.
Attached Thumbnails
3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks1-jpg   3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks2-jpg   3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks3-jpg   3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks4-jpg   3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks5-jpg   3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks6-jpg   3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation-ks7-jpg  
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thank you very much for the information!!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
jplue

Default 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation

Hi thanks for the post I am going to atemp this relocation. Could you tell me the color of the wires i am looking for

Thanks Jeff
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM

1998 Pathfinder

The two wires for the KS are located in the same conduit as the fuel injectors, the colors of the KS wires are, clear insulation with copper wire and white insulation with copper wire. Make sure you follow the wires up from the old KS to be sure.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:08 PM
tedd

I am trying to relocate the KS on a 2000 Frontier, the wiring is different than the 98 Pathfinder. There is only 1 wire coming out of the loom after the last injector. Can someone kindly identify the correct wires for the KS so that it can be relocated. I can send a photo to an email address if that would be of any help. I need to get a Mass. inspection very soon. Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Bad2rock

I am also working on a 2000 Nissan Frontier and trying to relocate the knock sensor. I purchased the wiring harness mentioned in the writeup and when received I realized that the replacement knock sensor for the Frontier does not plug into the wiring harness. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can the knock sensor for the 1995 to 1999 Nissan Maxima be used in the 2000 Frontier? Does anyone know what the resistance of the 1995 to 1999 Maxima's knock sensor is?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Desertdad

I realize this is an old post, but has anyone had any problems after the sensor was relocated? I'm not trying to be a skeptic but the stock location was set for a reason. I have the same problem with my Pathfinder and plan on relocating the sensor as shown above but want to make sure it won't be done in vain.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:18 AM

1998 Pathfinder

I have had the sensor relocated on my 98 pathfinder for a year now, no problems. Yes I am sure the Nissan engineers had a very good reason for the stock location but like many engineers they never considered how hard it would be to get to on the 3.3L......lol.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Desertdad

Thanks Gary. I am in the garage right now relocating the KS.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Desertdad

Is it bad if I accidentally nicked a wire that seems to bleed a tar like substance?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Desertdad

This Is A Late Response But I Just Would Like To Say Thank You For This Post And Others Like It. I Have Been A "Gearhead" My Entire Life. But With The Way Vehicles Are Being Built These Days It's Getting Harder And Harder To Wrench On Your Own Truck. Thankfully There Are Guys Like You Out There Who Refuse To Give In To The Makers And Simply Take Your Rigs To A Dealer. I Have Had Many An Occasion That I Had The Need To Search The Internet For "How To's" When Working On My Truck.

Thanks Again And Keep Up The Great Gearhead Approach Of Working On Your Own Vehicle....
Old 07-03-2009, 07:29 AM
EastMR2

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just use the pathfinder (Xterra in my case) harness and sensor so you don't have to cut wires? I'm getting the knock sensor code, so I'm considering doing this, but just wondering why not get the original parts for the car instead of the Maxima ones?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 AM
EastMR2

After looking at the picture and my Xterra close I think i realized its because that harness connects to more then just the knock sensor, right?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 AM

1998 Pathfinder

Yes it also has the fuel injector wires located in the same conduit on the 3.3
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Good evening to all,

I have been reading most of posts regarding the Knock sensor issue on Nissan vehicles and considering the how difficult (not to mention the cost) it is to replace the Knock sensor on some Nissan models, I have made up my mind to do the relocation.

I have a 98 Nissan Pathfinder XE and I'm getting a P0325 error code (just this one code), plus I'm getting about 10 mpg in the city ...I know that a pathfinder is not the most fuel efficient vehicle but 10 mpg is terrible.

I have also been reading some posts made by expert Nissan mechanics that say that Nissan Knock sensors very rarely get damaged; that most of the times the problem is the electrical connectors and electrical wires used by Nissan, they say that these things become corroded thus causing a bad connection, hence the error code.

They also go on to say that most of the times if you use contact cleaner to clean the contact points and adjust the plugs making sure that the connection is correct, then the error code will dissapear.

Well in my case, during this past weekend I not only cleaned the contacts and connectors where the Knock sensor wires are connected, I also cleaned the 2 other the all of the contacts found in the other 2 plugs that are next to the the knock sensor plug.

Actually all 3 plugs fell apart when I disconnected them, looks like the plastic had become brittle from the heat in the engine compartment, but was able to make a good connection using electrical tape and I also placed a small amount of di-electric grease to protect everything.

To make a long story short, I'm still getting the P0325 code (yes I had erased the code from the ECU)...Soooo, I'm going to change the Knock sensor...I do have some questions :

1- I can only locate one of the wires, the white insulated wire but not the clear insulated one. Does anyone know if on a pathfinder the wire colors are different and if they are, can someone please tell me the colors?

2- Has anyone had any experience with the Knock sensors sold on ebay? they have some sensors made in Japan, they even come with the Nissan loco or sticker on the bag and they cost about US$ 45.00 ..the price is very tempting.

3- Has anyone had any problems after the Knock sensor relocation??

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated since I would like to do the relocation this weekend.

Tags
33l, knock, relocation, sensor