Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation Forums > > 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 AM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Incidentally, If you do the Knock Sensor relocation, and it clears the OBDII error, but does not solve your problem, there is a good chance that your distributor is shot.

I discovered this last weekend. The Knock Sensor relocation worked perfectly, OBDII reading showed no errors at all, but my engine was still misfiring at 4k rpm, and steadily got worse.
The OBDII sensor did catch some unusual timing advance readings when I was doing a live test. This lead me to a post on another forum that suggested the distributor might be the culprit.

Bought a $160.00 (shipped even) replacement distributor from Ebay, dropped it in last weekend, and my truck now runs like new.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 AM
autry024

did u try replacing the cap and rotor before you replaced the entire dizzy? Every nissan I have ever owned developed microscopic cracks in the cap and caused a misfire. Im glad it solved your issue regardless. My 99 qx4 has 150k original dizzy new cap and rotor last year.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by autry024 View Post
did u try replacing the cap and rotor before you replaced the entire dizzy?
I did a full 90k service, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and knock sensor relocation.
Truck still misfired at 4k rpm, then slowly got worse. By the time I replaced the distributor, it was misfiring at 3500 rpm.

As I said, my OBDII reader has a "live run" feature that was giving me strange timing advance readings that lead me to suspect the distributor. This was confirmed on another forum, so I replaced the Dist.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 AM
dabrink11

Thumbs up 2000 Frontier 3.3L knock sensor replacement

After reading the posts, I got brave and did the replacement this past weekend. Not being an expert in wiring, I had a very hard time matching my wiring harnesses with pictures/descriptions from the other Nissans. I did find both the white (slightly larger casing) and gray wires on the back side of the harness closest to the manifold.

From left to right while facing the 2000 Frontier from the hood release, there are 4 distinct wiring harnesses. The forth is the set that you want to examine. Again, while standing next to the hood release, remove the tape from the back of that harness and you will find the two wires.

I also learned the hard way that the connector for the Maxima wiring harness does not fit the sensor for the Frontier. I had to remove the outer cover of the harness and directly slide the connectors into the sensor. I would think that using a Maxima sensor would have been the better way to go.

THIS DOES WORK!! The engine sounds great, the check engine light went out, and I hope to get another 100,000 miles.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Thanks to this thread, I was able to perform this replacement on my '99 Pathfinder. I put together a video while doing it, hoping that it might help the next person that comes along:

YouTube - 1999 Nissan Pathfinder Knock Sensor Relocation

- Dan
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
autry024

After 6 tanks of various grades gas I am getting 16.8 mpg city and 19mpg highway. thats up from 14.5 city and 16 highway. I can get anywhere from 260-300 miles on a tank of gas. I used to get 200-225 tops. i want to stress that I also changed my gas filter, seafomed the truck, and got an alignment (toe was off a bit) so I am not giving full credit to the knock sensor just including it as a key part of regular maintenance items.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Tarn

hello,
My local dealer gave me a connector for free to hook up to my new knock sensor. only problem is that the wires are not the same color as the harness used in this guide. Would someone please tell me what color if wires go where on the maxima harness connector. Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
1999 Pathfinder
2004 Titan King Cab

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help possible. I have a 1999 Pathfinder that needs the knock sensor replacement. I bought a Nissan knock sensor about a year ago but never put it in. Can I order the Maxima wire harness mentioned earlier in this thread and use it with the Pathfinder knock sensor that I already have or do I also need a new knock sensor to do this relocation? Thanks again for any help.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
autry024

Quote:
Originally Posted by autry024 View Post
ok the wire you need is a black shielded wire. When you cut it you will see a white wire and a silver coax wire wrapped around it. If you have ever cut a cable wire you know exactly what I mean. You must separate the stripped white wire and the coax. The coax connects to the white harness wire and the white stripped wire connects to the clear on the harness. If you mess them up you will not hurt your car but it will trigger a STORED code immediately on start up, simply switch them back. I have seen people run thier cars with knock sensors dangling and not hooked up so there is no need to think anything bad will happen.

ill report after a few tanks of gas to see if there is any real MPG increase.

ummmmmmmmmm.........................???
Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 PM
96pathy

I'm getting ready to do this on a friends 96 pathfinder and was wondering if I could just open up the loom that the injector wires and knock sensor wires run in and reroute the factory knock sensor harness/wiring up to the intake? that would remove the need for the maxima knock sensor and any cutting of wires. I have not looked at the harness yet and really have no idea if the factory harness will even reach the intake location but in theory it sounds good.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:39 PM
alexisa

I know this is an old post, but I am hoping for a bit of clarification. I located the correct wire, but I am not sure which side of the cut wire to connect the new sensor. The cut off wire toward the firewall or the cut off wire toward the radiator. If you get this, I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

alexisa-

Sensor connects to the cut wire heading toward the radiator. The wire going to the fire wall is the one that goes to the old knock sensor.

-sabbates
Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM
clarkn

hi i have a 99 pathfinder that has 2 codes one is po325 and the other is po161 which says 02 sensor heater can this cause the ks code to come up? and if so should i replace the 02 sensor first to see if it does? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Nate
Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
dirtypathy

I was wondering if the 1999 nissan maxima KS and harness will work for a 1994 nissan pathfinder 3.0L. I am ok with everything but i just want to make sure it will work before i go ahead and buy the parts that it will work. Thanks!

Cheers
Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 AM
cwo27201

Default Knock Sensor relocation 2004 Xterra

I tried the relocation of the knock sensor ordering the replacement sensor and harness for the Maxima as listed in the thread below and my new knock sensor does not plug into that harness. I cannot find the existing knock sensor on my 3.3 2003 model either- any help or ideas?

Tags
33l, knock, relocation, sensor