Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation Forums > > 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM
1998 Pathfinder
98 pathfinder

Default 98 pathfinder knock sensor

Hi folks, a newbie here. I'm not sure if my knock sensor is bad, so, here's my
problem.when i drive my 98 pathy up hills lately it makes a pinging sound, i've
tried higher octane gas= no help. there are no codes lighting up and the motor still runs smooth, but i can definitely hear the pinging up hills.I read that driving continually might damage the motor. so, does anyone know of what might be causing this pinging sound other than the 'possibility' of a bad
ks ?. one thing i recently did was i cleaned my throttle body with o2-safe spray. but, i didn't know till later that i wasn't supposed to hold the plate open with an object , but i used a small piece of wood to keep throttle plate
open while i spray-cleaned it. no codes, runs fine, but', now it takes a few
extra minutes to idle down to normal 650-750 rpm. could this have any affect
on the pinging? or not? i tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it still
won't re-learn the idle. could this be causing the ecm to change the timing
and cause the pinging?..sorry such a long post...thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Default Locating the correct wire color on existing harness

Anyone know what color of wire I am looking for on the existing harness? Before I splice the relocated new wire to the existing for a knock sensor relocation, I want to be sure I do not cut the fuel wires. 98 Nissan Pathfinder.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 AM
1998 Pathfinder
98 pathfinder

Default 99 pathfinder konck sensor relocation

Hi, I also viewed the knock sensor relocation post by 'danruss' registered member. while I was reading some of the replies, i clicked on a youtube video
that explains and 'shows' the procedure very well. you can find it if you read
through all the replies after 'danruss' posted, or you can go to..youtube.com/watch?v=2t1l68s8MmM..............ps; if I ever do the relocation, i will use this video. hope it helps you out..good luck.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 AM
2000 Quest

IM doing a little reasearch for one of my mechanics at work. he has a 00 nissan quest with the 3.3 I was hoping this would work for that vehicle but his manifold is composite and the harnes locations are diffrent. would it still be the same basic principal?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:22 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Default Metal rattling sound during accelerating

Anyone ever have a metal rattling sound during acclerating only? I have a 98 Nissan Pathfinder, 154,695 miles, v6, 3.3L engine. I did the knock sensor relocation using the video youtube.com/watch?v=2t1l68s8MmM, replaced the mass air flow sensor, the egr valve, and my battery. I need to drive another 100 miles an order to reset the systems for an emissons test retry. Any advice on the metal rattle during acclerating would greatly be appreciated. I already replaced the intermidiate exhaust pipe, muffler and resonator assembly.
thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbby44 View Post
Hi folks, a newbie here. I'm not sure if my knock sensor is bad, so, here's my
problem.when i drive my 98 pathy up hills lately it makes a pinging sound, i've
tried higher octane gas= no help. there are no codes lighting up and the motor still runs smooth, but i can definitely hear the pinging up hills.I read that driving continually might damage the motor. so, does anyone know of what might be causing this pinging sound other than the 'possibility' of a bad
ks ?. one thing i recently did was i cleaned my throttle body with o2-safe spray. but, i didn't know till later that i wasn't supposed to hold the plate open with an object , but i used a small piece of wood to keep throttle plate
open while i spray-cleaned it. no codes, runs fine, but', now it takes a few
extra minutes to idle down to normal 650-750 rpm. could this have any affect
on the pinging? or not? i tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it still
won't re-learn the idle. could this be causing the ecm to change the timing
and cause the pinging?..sorry such a long post...thanks.
A bad knock sensor will not cause an engine to "ping." A kncok sensor generates a voltage signal when it senses engine knock and sends it to the ECM, which in turn retards the ignition timing slightly to help prevent engine damage. A momentary "ping" during hard accelleration is normal on your vehicle. If it is more than that, try checking your ignition timing per the FSM procedure. If it still does it, try using a higher octane fuel. If that doesn't work, check your EGR system operation and check for carbon buildup on top of the pistons. You may need to perform an upper engine cleaning service if carbon is an issue. A professional fuel injection service isn't a bad idea, either, as injectors on VG engines have been known to get dirty.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
1992 240SX

Thumbs up

I just had this happen to my 04 Frontier. I did relocate the knock sensor (stock 04 Frontier knock sensor new ebay $7 shipped) but didn't have to cut/splice any wiring. I was able to remove a small mounted heater hose line in the back of the intake manifold allowing for just enough room to unplug the stock harness and reroute it to the new location. I left the old sensor right where it was because i could not get to it with tools. It was very tight and took about 1hr total but worth not cuting the harness for me. It was 2 10mm bolts and 1 hose clamp, then fold the hose and flange still attached to the heater side back out of your way to reach behind. You will need to add some high temp gasket maker to seal the flange back to manifold, but thats super easy. Its running as good as new and no further problems.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
1999 Pathfinder
1999 Pathfinder

Don't hesitate to do this. I was reluctant but it's a 15 min job & it works. Bought both the sensor & harness on eBay. They range from $10 to$100 but are all the same.
You only need to splice into one side of the sensor with the wire. The copper shield is a ground & the sensor is grounded so it becomes a 1 wire conversion. Just be sure to tap into the right wire ( the one with resistance to it)
I actually cut the other one off as it served no purpose. Because I had disconnected the battery to perform this, when I fired it up the codes were cleared. 1 month & counting. Save yourself the big bucks - this is a true DIY.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
2005 Altima Sedan 2005 altima se 3.5 L

Default Verify ??????????

I can see that this relocate knock sensor can work with a new sensor and wiring..on a 3.3 L ENG.. So as too turn off code... BUT HAS anyone tested to see if knock sensor can detect a real spark knoock with it located on upper intake plenum..... Seems it wouldnt be able to begine too detect a real spark knock.... with it on upper alum intake.. Seems that it would have too be some how located to the lower intake in order too maybe detect a real spark knock..... Just my thought....
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
2000 Pathfinder

Default gogopin

I need Exactly: How install the Knock sensor in a pathfinder 2000. Not 1998 -1999 I undertand they are different thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
1997 Pathfinder
2000 Frontier

Default 97 pathy

I have code PO325 KS on my 97 pathfinder. Has anyone done the relocation on a 97 pathy??
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
1998 Pathfinder

In a late response to #44 & others ... I had codes P0456 & P0325 on my '98 Pathfinder, mileage ~200k miles. The vehicle ran fine for a year with them - now that I've decided to keep it, I'm repairing them. I pulled the hoses on the evap canister just behind the left rear tire and blew the debris out with an air hose. Then I soaked the interior of the mechanism they hooked to with WD-40. There's a electromagnetically activated prong inside that I assume can be gummed up and not release as it should. I drove it a couple of days to let it soak, then tapped it several times with a wooden mallet. The P0456 code has gone, and the moaning sound that used to happen after I shut the engine off has gone also. (I assume that was pressurized air seeping back past the blockage).
Now, on to the KS. I'll follow the excellent advice - gary3071, dan russ, and others - I've read on this forum.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:17 PM
1998 Pathfinder
1996 Pathfinder

Thanks for the information I am considering this relocation and the instructions and pictures are very helpful.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
1998 Pathfinder

I did this relocation on my 98 Pathfinder about two or three years ago, and it's still running fine...
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
1998 Pathfinder

I finally got around to replacing my knock sensor on a 98 pathfinder. Took me 10 min (I took my time), saved the $800 my dealer wanted, and used the Dan Russell YouTube technique (1999 Nissan Pathfinder Knock Sensor Relocation (also works on Frontier & QX4) OBDII P0325 - YouTube). Worked perfectly, the P0325 code is gone. Thanks Dan & Gary.
Now to fix the P0335 code that's shown up.....

Tags
33l, knock, relocation, sensor