Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Buzzing/Rattle Noise Forums > > Buzzing/Rattle Noise Buzzing/Rattle Noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 PM

2002 Pathfinder LE

Default Buzzing/Rattle Noise

Hey everyone, new here. I just bought a 2002 Pathfinder LE (Auto 4x4) last week with 100k on it. Everything seems to be good except for one thing. There seems to be a rattle or "buzzing" noise when accelerating. It seems to happen usually around 20-25mph then again around 30mph. Its not extremely loud but it is noticeable with the windows down. It dose not last very long, maybe 3-4 seconds. I wish I could describe it better but thats really the best way to describe it now. Does anyone have any idea as to what it may be? Like I said, it happens usually when I pass the 20mph mark and then again around 30mph and lasts for 3-4 seconds with a buzz/rattle type sound. The Service engine light is not on. Anyone with any ideas..I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Mike

Last edited by UFO151; 10-26-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Ken

Check the heat shields on the exhaust they can get a rattle up or a loose baffle in the mulfer maybe
Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 PM
MerlotLE

I agree with the post above, cats get hot and the welds holding the heat sheilds can break, causing them to rattle. I have a 2003 path LE, and the buzz, rattling thing happened to me two winters ago. It turned out being a "faulty" catalytic converter altogether. My dealer drove me absolutely crazy to get it resolved though. At first they said it needed a muffler kit and wasn't covered under warranty, they charged me $250. When I picked up the car, it made the same noise. I called every day for two weeks until I actually spoke with the manager and I had to take him out for a drive to help him "understand" the problem. They took it back in, replaced the cat, and said it was covered under warranty. Well, what about my $250? Never got it back. Fortunately I found a better place to service my Nissan (so far at least). I'd say to all pathfinder owners, when its really really cold outside, not to drive the car hard until everything warms up, those cats get super hot really quickly.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM

2002 Pathfinder LE

Hey guys, Thanks a million for the replies so far, really appreciate it. I've tried for the past few days to "recreate" the sound and experimented to see when it occurs. Here's a list I compiled.

1. Noise happens at low speeds, last for 3-4 seconds. Its weird because it almost appears as if it occurs on que when the speedometer hits 20. Happens in both forward and reverse!

(Why do you guys think the noise happens right when I hit the 20mph mark then again around 30? Maybe its an illusion but it def seems to occur at the same speed every time.)

2. There is a rattle or buzz when you accelerate quickly, really noticeable then. The buzz is really noticeable when the engine is cold.

3. The buzz sound becomes less noisy after at least 20 minutes of highway driving.

I just spent $325 to have a new muffler put on it, I thought that would fix the problem but it diden't. Its a highly annoying noise, all you hear around 20mph is bzzzzzzzzzz. Oh well, its always something. Thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
MerlotLE

This describes the situation I had very well. When I took the service manager as well as a mechanic out for a ride, we tried replicating the sound and was actually funny because we couldn't but I was determined to get this resolved. Try this, park the car but keep in 'drive'. If you keep your foot on the brake and accelerate rapidly while keep the foot on the brake, it replicated the sound really well. Its something inside the cat, and not the exhause pipes or muffler as you have found. Like they did to me, they charged you for something you didn't need and you can't get that money back. The cat replacement for me was covered under warranty.

Tags
buzzing or rattle, noise