Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Pathfinder Mass Airflow Sensor Forums > > 2001 Pathfinder Mass Airflow Sensor 2001 Pathfinder Mass Airflow Sensor
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

u might have to reset it by unplugging the battery

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
coop

Hi, I am a newbie. I have never serviced any of my cars in the past. But being a computer techie, I would like to give it a shot instead of wasting my money in expensive labor charges at the service station.

Recently my 2001 Pathfinder's MIL light came on. After running diagnostics I found error code 171 & 174. I have also noticed some lack of power and hesitation when i press accelerator to speed up, and sometimes rattling noises under the body, my guess is the exhaust is getting rusted again, I had replaced it about 2 years ago.

So my question to all fine people is, how difficult is it to replace MAF? Do I need to buy the service manual?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
cmanley542

Coop, you have an identical problem that I and many other '01 owners have, the MAF is easy to replace, takes all of 2 minutes and a T20 bit. I'm getting the rattling too, did replacing exhaust help with this problem two years ago?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
coop

Well, I let it rattled until one day I was at a red light and I heard sound like metal is knocking with another, it was going away while the Pathy was in motion but as soon as I stop at a light or stop sign I was hearing it again. When I finally arrived at work, I went back to take a look at the tail pipe it was basically dangling, not touching the ground but disconnected from the catalytic converter ( i guess thats where the other end connects ;) )

Anyways topok it to the dealer and he quoted me $900 to replace it. Went to Midas and got it done in less than $300.

This resolved the rattle until about a month ago. I have started hearing it again.

One thing I like to point out, almost three years ago, the gas prices shot up due to Katrina and I started putting regular Gas in the Pathy. The rattle started after that. I went back to Premium gas after the prices settled down. Now that the gas is sky rocketting again, I have started putting regular gas in it. I wonder if all this is caused by regular gas.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:54 AM
cmanley542

I unplugged the battery for a couple of days, put in the new MAF, works great. Power and acceleration returned, running better than it has in two years. Definitely worth the $100 for the part.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM
coop

Thanks!

Looks like no need to spend $500, Maxima's MAF seems to be working fine I guess.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
coop

OK, after reading this thread again, I wonder if I need MAF replaced? Basically all I am getting is error code 171 & 174, system too lean for bank 1 & 2.

The engine is loud when idle, but i have noticed that normally in the after noons, in past few days, but it has been really hot here recently and i had AC cranked up all the way. so I wonder if that is the cause of loud idling, just fans moving fast.

Oh yeah, also not as reponsive as it used to be take a bit time in gunning down on the road while in motion. From a stop it shoots like an arrow.

What other things should I check to ensure it is MAF?

Last edited by coop; 07-22-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM
RainKing

Posting my story in hopes that it may help others.

Check engine light came on several months ago on my 2001 Pathfinder. Went to the local parts store and got the codes read. Can't remember exactly what the codes were, but after a little searching on the internet I was unable to narrow down the culpript. After a few weeks, I started to hear what a friend called "diesling" or basically pinging of the engine. I took it in to the shop. They said it was the MAF and my O2 sensors. They quotes some ridiculous price above $800.

I searched for that code again plus MAF and came across this board a few others that described replacing the part with the Maxima part. I was skeptical. But I figured it was worth a try if could save me hundreds of dollars. On my way to pick up the part from the dealership, I unplugged the MAF and my car ran even worse. So I did a little more research and figured out that part of the MAF may still work when the CEL comes on.

So I bit the bullet, put the Maxima piece in my car last week, never cleared the CEL and it stayed on for a few days. On my way home from work today, after months of being on, the lights turned itself off and my car seems to be running normal again.

Thanks to this board for saving at least $600!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

sounds good. sometime pinging occurs when lower grade of fuel is used.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM
bigjim

Default No power, MAF ????

Hi there, I have been reading for some time and have a similiar issue. I am getting terrible gas millage and when I try to stand on the pedal, the engine rev's but the Pathy doe not jump up. It used to pass vehicle's with ease.

I tried to get a MAF sensoe here in Ottawa Canada, but the Nissan dealers are ripping us off at $500 a pop. I checked on the Maxima sensor as mentioned on this forum, and they want $397 !!! What gives? Are the dealers trying to make up for the bad car sales ?

Can anyone point me to a supplier in Canada whol sell at the REAL price !.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

naw its just very expensive. it kind of wierd that 00-01 maf for a maxima is like 100 but one for my 02 max its like u said 400 i guess the different engine makes the diff. but still not a good reason to make it higher. your best bet is try some junk yards or a local forums around u.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
joelB

Default Mass air flow sensor for 01 Pathfinder

Have gotten a lot of great info from this thread regarding my same problem with the mass air flow sensor in my '01 3.5 SE Pathfinder that needs to be replaced (according to my Nissan dealership). Was thinking about the 22680 2Y001 from the Maxima that has been in the thread that seems to work, or the one the near Nissan dealership suggested - 22680 4W001 - for $643, but I found it at Bumper to Bumper for $285. My questions are: Can I replace this MAF sensor myself or should I pay a mechanic to do it? Is the procedure hard? Where exactly does the sensor go? And what's this "T20 bit" that someone mentioned earlier for doing it yourself?

I would love for this to work and save myself a bunch of money instead of giving it to the dealership. They wanted $800 for the job!

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
skobyn

does the check engine light have to be on in order for the maf to be bad? 01 path having acceleration problems, but dummy light not on. could it possibly a fuel pressure issue
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

have u checked the air filter. maybe a tune up is needed?? how may miles u have on the car?? usually when the maf goes its cuts out at a certain rpm like 3k or 3500, if thats not the case then dont wworry about it.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 AM
adp0930

Default MAF Sensor for 2001 Pathfinder

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I was able to pick up the sleeve and sensor for $120 from the dealer and do it myself. The dealers wanted upwards of 700+ clams to purchase and change the Pathfinder part. They are asking 550+ for the part alone. It's such a cheap looking little thing I doubt it cost them $20.

It's not too difficult to do, but I did have to move some other hoses out of the way and work around some cramped spaces to get the nuts on and off of the sleeve mount. I purchased a set of star screwdriver bits at Advanced auto for $10 so I could have just pulled the sensor in and out but a little note with the part says not to do that. I can't think of a really good reason not to though. Its a passive air duct that doesn't seem to matter. Anyway I went through the trouble and did it. I'm no mechanic at all and it took me less than an hour. Of course the pro mechanics want more time than that.

It was stuttering when I started up before, and hesitating when I would acelerate from stop. Now, it runs like a top.

Some of the online parts stores are jacking up the price of the Maxima parts too. I've seen them for about $400 now. What a racket. I'll bet the thing was programmed to go bad in the first place at a certain time or mileage. Get the 2001 Maxima MAF from your dealership before they jack them up. I have no doubt they will. You don't think they'd lower to Pathfinder one to a fair price do you?

I've just had too many experiences where the manufacturer and dealership are trying to rip you off. I think this about does it with Nissan for me.

Tags
2001, airflow, mass, pathfinder, sensor