Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P1135 code Forums > > P1135 code P1135 code
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-04-2019, 05:31 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Default P1135 code

Hello everyone. 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 with 215k Miles. It's been mine for most of its life. Oil changes every 5k. Current oil level is good and clean with only 2k miles since last change.
I got a P1135 code a few weeks back. Using my Haynes manual I see that it is a variable valve system problem so I look it up in the index and go to the page to test the IVTC sensors (which RockAuto calls Camshaft sensors and Nissan now calls Crankshaft sensors (this recent change is very confusing)). Anyway I test and decide to replace that bank 2 IVTC sensor - drivers side, front of engine top right, facing the car). Clear codes, code comes back. So then I swap the sensors. clear codes. Code comes back as P1110 which is the same error on bank 1. So now I tap into the FSM which this code is referenced on EC-448 (for those following along in their hymnal). Guess what - These codes don't reference those sensors at all. These codes reference the IVTC system and the following sensors: crankshaft position sensor (POS and REF), camshaft sensor, engine coolant temp and speed sensor.
So my first question of many....if it's not the IVTC sensor why did the code switch banks when I swapped the sensors from one side to the other?
What should my next step be?
Test crankshaft sensors? Do you think Nissan means the IVTC sensors when they say crankshaft postion sensor?
Old 08-04-2019, 02:38 PM
2004 Maxima
2001 Pathfinder
2004 Maxima SE

Default Crank/Cam sensors, been there, done that ...!

I just replaced both crankshaft sensors. One of them is by the flywheel, the other is right on top of the front pulley, which has a notch that get detected y the sensor. Nissan calls them CAMSHAFT (??)

The CAMSHAFT Sensor is on the front right side of the engine, right below the IVTC for bank 2.

I disconnected the two IVTC sensor for both bank Injectors and had no effect on how the engine run, also checked their resistance and where within spec per EC Manual.

You can see the CAM / Crank sensors locations here:

2001 Nissan Pathfinder OEM Parts - COURTESY NISSAN

Yesterday I posted what I did on my 2001 Pathfinder in this Forum under:

2001 Pathfinder starts cold then dies...! Help..!.

Follow the EC manual, page 150, to test the MAF sensor first, easy enough. Using a paper clip and a Multi-meter you can see if the voltage varies as you accelerate. It's the ORANGE wire coming out of the connector. Insert the clip next to the wire until makes contact. Use an engine ground for the test, do not use the ground wire in the connector.

I had all kind of problems because of this part and no MIL light whatsoever...!

Good luck..!

nh2004max
Old 08-04-2019, 02:45 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Just pullled and tested the camshaft sensor. No resistance measured so that must be the problem right? Gonna try a new one. Will update when I get that done. Also, the harness was covered with oil. Not sure why. Couldn't find any leak so maybe that led to it's demise.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:54 PM
2004 Maxima
2001 Pathfinder
2004 Maxima SE

Camshaft has an O-ring, make sure it's OK. If you buy new part make sure comes wit it.
Go to EC Manual Page 340 for Camshaft resistance test.

Tags
code, p1135