Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Pathfinder Jerking and Bucking on Acceleration Forums > > 2003 Pathfinder Jerking and Bucking on Acceleration 2003 Pathfinder Jerking and Bucking on Acceleration
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima Sedan
2000 Altima Sedan
2003 Pathfinder LE

Default 2003 Pathfinder Jerking and Bucking on Acceleration

I am in the market for a 2001-2003 Pathfinder. I found one at a really good price except it has a problem. This is what the fellow said about the truck after I asked him to explain a little more how the truck was acting:

"More of the jerk shutter. I call it bucking. let off the gas and it goes fine. Only under hard acceleration at about 2500 rpm.. Throws a 0065 which makes no sense because it is after the swirl control valve solenoid and has supposedly has no effect on anything. Have replaced swirl control valve solenoid, TPS, MAF, O2 sensors and have replaced or blown out many vacuum hoses.. I have read that this may be called "limp mode" but not sure about that..."

Anyone have any suggestions what this may be?
Old 04-29-2019, 10:58 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There's not really enough information to really pinpoint the problem to anything specific, especially without actually driving it. "Fail safe mode" lets the engine run normally up to 2500 RPM but limits it from going any higher to help prevent damage to the engine when an engine management issue (i.e. a bad mass air sensor, for example) occurs. So, "fail safe" is essentially a rev limiter. When you are driving in fail safe, it'll be fine until you get to 2500 RPM and then the engine will start surging up and down until you come down on the throttle. There will almost always be a trouble code stored in fail safe mode. There are two kinds of trouble codes: "P-codes," which are usually obtained using an OBD II code reader or scan tool and, obviously, start with the letter "P," and ECM codes, which consist of four numbers (i.e. "1130" which would be for a swirl control valve solenoid malfunction) and are usually identical to the "P" code, minus the "P." ECM codes are obtained by counting the flashing light after putting the ECM in self diagnostic mode. I went trough the code chart in the 2003 Pathfinder factory service manual and could not find a listing for "0065." So, one of the first things I would recommend is reading the codes with another device to see if you come up with a different and accurate trouble code. If you need a copy of the "Engine Control" section of the factory service manual, register for free at NissanHelp.com and click on this link:

https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/72/

Or, full factory service manuals can be found for free at Nico Club's website.

If jerking under acceleration below 2500 RPM, then it is likely misfiring. Some of the things to look at would be worn or incorrect type spark plugs (stick with the correct type NGK plugs), one or multiple ignition coil packs, a leaking spark plug tube seals that is allowing oil into the spark plug well and creating a short between the metal tube and the ignition coil boot, a bad camshaft position sensor or crank position sensor (which usually trigger codes, but don't always) and low fuel pressure, to name a few, more common things found on these vehicles. Also, look for splits in the rubber intake duct that are allowing unmetered air into the engine.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:23 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima Sedan
2000 Altima Sedan
2003 Pathfinder LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
There's not really enough information to really pinpoint the problem to anything specific, especially without actually driving it. "Fail safe mode" lets the engine run normally up to 2500 RPM but limits it from going any higher to help prevent damage to the engine when an engine management issue (i.e. a bad mass air sensor, for example) occurs. So, "fail safe" is essentially a rev limiter. When you are driving in fail safe, it'll be fine until you get to 2500 RPM and then the engine will start surging up and down until you come down on the throttle. There will almost always be a trouble code stored in fail safe mode. There are two kinds of trouble codes: "P-codes," which are usually obtained using an OBD II code reader or scan tool and, obviously, start with the letter "P," and ECM codes, which consist of four numbers (i.e. "1130" which would be for a swirl control valve solenoid malfunction) and are usually identical to the "P" code, minus the "P." ECM codes are obtained by counting the flashing light after putting the ECM in self diagnostic mode. I went trough the code chart in the 2003 Pathfinder factory service manual and could not find a listing for "0065." So, one of the first things I would recommend is reading the codes with another device to see if you come up with a different and accurate trouble code. If you need a copy of the "Engine Control" section of the factory service manual, register for free at NissanHelp.com and click on this link:

https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/72/

Or, full factory service manuals can be found for free at Nico Club's website.

If jerking under acceleration below 2500 RPM, then it is likely misfiring. Some of the things to look at would be worn or incorrect type spark plugs (stick with the correct type NGK plugs), one or multiple ignition coil packs, a leaking spark plug tube seals that is allowing oil into the spark plug well and creating a short between the metal tube and the ignition coil boot, a bad camshaft position sensor or crank position sensor (which usually trigger codes, but don't always) and low fuel pressure, to name a few, more common things found on these vehicles. Also, look for splits in the rubber intake duct that are allowing unmetered air into the engine.
smj999smj I am impressed and very thankful for your response. I apologize, I was given the wrong code, it is actually P1165. We decided not to buy the truck and have found another one. We still want to help this young man and his soldier wife who are struggling to make their farm make a living for them. So any help will be appreciated, thank you. I will definitely pass this along to the young man and suggest that he join this forum.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:16 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If he's looking for a Pathfinder, tell him to try TheNissanPath.com. There's a lot of good information there that is more Pathfinder specific.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima Sedan
2000 Altima Sedan
2003 Pathfinder LE

No sir, I was looking for a Pathfinder and he has his for sale but if he can fix it he will keep it.

Thank you for the information, I sent him the links and information you provided. I bought a 2003 Pathfinder yesterday. It has catalytic problems but at the huge discount he gave me because of the engine light being on and that was the code. I guess I need to start a new thread about my new to me Pathfinder as it has another problem also.

Thank you again, I haven't heard back from the young fellow but I will post here if I do.

Tags
acceleration, bucking, jerking, pathfinder