Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Low Headlamp Issue Forums > > Low Headlamp Issue Low Headlamp Issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 AM
2013 Pathfinder

Default Low Headlamp Issue

Hi, I have a 2013 Pathfinder and my low beam headlamps stopped working. The hi beams and fog lamps are fine but nothing out of the lows. The lamps themselves are OK. I'm not getting any voltage at the connectors for either lamp when they are on. I checked back to the fuses (both L and R) and they also seem OK. When I look at the technical documentation I can find online, there seems to be a relay that is upstream of that the controls both low beam lamps. My issue is that the documentation is not clear as to where to find this. It says that it is in the IPDM E/R but I'm not seeing anything labeled that way. Is it indeed in here? If so, any idea what it looks like and how can I go about testing it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The IPDM/ER is the large fuel and relay box in the engine compartment. It'll likely have a black plastic top that clips onto the box. It'll have both replaceable and non-replaceable relays. When you use your headlight switch, it signals the Body Control Module (BCM) which, in turn, communicates with the IPDM/ER, which controls the headlamp relays, which will power the fuses and circuits to the headlamps. So, it could be a bad light switch, BCM, IPDM, low beam headlight relay or circuit issue. Best way to diagnose the problem is using a factory service manual for your vehicle and you may need a capable scan tool. I know the R51 Pathfinders (and I would assume the R52 Pathfinders would have it, as well) had a BCM self-diagnostic test that, once activated, would turn on/off multiple items like the wipers, high/low headlights, A/C clutch and electric cooling fans. This test would let one know the BCM was okay and the circuit to those components, including the relays and fuses. The procedure would be in the FSM. Nico Club's site may have a free FSM for your vehicle at their site.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 AM
2013 Pathfinder

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I am confused about one part though. For the BCM self-diagnostic test, is that something that I should be able to run that without an external scan tool or is that what I need to do that diagnostic? I did find the FSM at Nico but an still trying to sort through it to figure out how to run the diagnostic.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Actually, I need to correct myself. I should have said "IPDM active test" and it can be done without a scan tool. It'll test from the IPDM/ER to the respective components mentioned, not the BCM. Here's the procedure:

Auto Active Test BKS0025S
DESCRIPTION
In auto active test mode, operation inspection can be performed when IPDM E/R sends a drive signal to the
following systems:
l Rear window defogger
l Front wiper (LO, HI)
l Tail lamps, parking lamps, license plate lamps
l Front fog lamps
l Headlamps (LO, HI)
l Headlamp washer
l A/C compressor (magnetic clutch)
l Cooling fan
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Close hood and front door (passenger side), and then lift wiper arms away from windshield (to prevent
glass damage by wiper operation).
NOTE:
When auto active test is performed with hood opened, sprinkle water on windshield beforehand.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch ON, and within 20 seconds, press driver's door switch 10 times (close other doors).
Then turn ignition switch OFF.
4. Turn ignition switch ON within 10 seconds after ignition switch OFF.
5. When auto active test mode is actuated, horn chirps once. Oil pressure warning lamp starts blinking.
6. After a series of operations is repeated three times, auto active test is completed.
NOTE:

When auto active test mode has to be cancelled halfway, turn ignition switch OFF.

Additional info; there is no need to start the engine.

1) rear defogger on for 10 secs

2) front wiper - low 5 secs hi 5 secs

3) park lamps and (fog lamps some models) 10 secs

4) fog lamps (some models) 10 secs

5) headlamps- low 10 secs, Hi ON-OFF 5 times ( mine stay on for 10 secs)

6) A/C compressor ON 2 secs OFF 2 secs 5 times (you will hear the solenoid click)

7) Cooling fan 2 speed- Low 5 secs Hi 5 secs

3 speed -Low 2 secs-mid 2 secs-Hi 2 secs-Mid 2 secs-Low 2 secs.

the complete test repeats for three cycles

test can be cancelled at any time by switching off the ignition
Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
2017 Pathfinder
2017 Pathfinder SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Close hood and front door
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch ON, and within 20 seconds, press driver's door switch 10 times (close other doors).
Then turn ignition switch OFF.
4. Turn ignition switch ON within 10 seconds after ignition switch OFF.
5. When auto active test mode is actuated, horn chirps once. Oil pressure warning lamp starts blinking.
6. After a series of operations is repeated three times, auto active test is completed.
ignition
Is this for real?
Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 AM
2013 Pathfinder

This is not a late April's fool joke is it? I tried and nothing happened. I assume by driver's door switch you mean the button on the exterior pull handle? I tried several times and the vehicle didn't do anything out of the ordinary.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's for real. I've used it on my 06 and 08 Pathfinders. The door switch is the plunger type switch in the driver's door jamb. If you don't have one, they may have incorporated it into the latch, so you will have to refer to an R52 factory service manual for the procedure. Besides, it was April 3rd not April 1st! ;) You can Google "Nissan IPDM active test" if you don't believe me!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:05 AM
2013 Pathfinder

So, after doing some checking, there were 2 issues. First, I was using the switch on the exterior door handle, not the plunger switch inside the door. The second issue is that for the R52, it is a bit different to get the sequence going. Mine must be R52 as it is a 2013 model Pathfnider. The sequence to remember is 5-10-3. This means, that, with the vehicle off, press the starter button 5 times, then the door plunger 10 times, then finally press the starter button 3 more times. After that it started the diagnostic sequence and repeated 3 times. Thanks everyone for the help.

Tags
headlamp, issue, low