Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Pathfinder SE Oil Leak (help)!! Forums > > 2003 Pathfinder SE Oil Leak (help)!! 2003 Pathfinder SE Oil Leak (help)!!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 12:29 PM
2003 Pathfinder

Default 2003 Pathfinder SE Oil Leak (help)!!

Hi ladies and gentleman,

Wondering if any kind soul could look at my photos and take a guess on an oil leak?

Had tranny replaced, noticed oil everywhere...tranny dude said this thing here (oil cooler) did some research, replaced both seals for $15. This appeared to at least help, but after cleaning and driving an hour, still noticed oil splattered underneath, albeit less.

Cleaned up again set cardboard under. Only one drop on cardboard. But appears to leak more when driving. Hoping not a rear main seal at this point. Any thoughts on the pics included? You can see the drip forming in one really clearly.

Thanks!
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Pathfinder SE Oil Leak (help)!!-img_4071-jpg   2003 Pathfinder SE Oil Leak (help)!!-img_4072-jpg  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Usually if the rear main seal is leaking, you'll just see it at the bottom of the transmission bellhousing. That looks too far forward to be a rear main leak. The oil cooler is a common area for leaks, so it made sense to replace those seals. VQ engines usually don't have too many oil leak issues outside of the oil cooler and sometimes the front crank seal, which would be my guess. When the front crank seal leaks, it has a tendency to have the engine oil thrown all over the place by the crank pulley. With so much oil all over the place, the only way to identify the exact source would be to either dye test it (dye is placed in the oil and later checked with a UV light) or to have the engine and engine compartment steam cleaned to get rid of all of the oil and be able to see exactly where it's coming from. The only other area I would guess is the valve cover gasket, which would show oil all the way up the side of the engine to the gasket on the side of the leak. If the oil is sprayed all over the front area of the engine/engine compartment, I would bet on the front crank seal as being the problem.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:12 PM
2003 Pathfinder

Default Thanks!

Yeah, didn't really see anything on front crank that looked oily at all. I do see some residue on valve cover though....might be that and or the oil cooler gasket between oil cooler and block. I have seen that can be the next culprit if the two inner rings/seals didn't FULLY do the trick down there.

Thanks for taking the time to give a solid educated guess! Much appreciated my brother!

J

Tags
leak, oil, pathfinder