Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Pathfinder Stalls/Runs Rough/Runs Fine Forums > > 05 Pathfinder Stalls/Runs Rough/Runs Fine 05 Pathfinder Stalls/Runs Rough/Runs Fine
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default 05 Pathfinder Stalls/Runs Rough/Runs Fine

My Pathfinder has been really acting up for the past few days. It will start and run normal for a short time, then stall and not start back up for a while, then start but run at a very rough low idle (with CE light blinking). After a little while it will start and act normal again and the cycle will repeat. Very frustrating as it is giving no codes to give me a starting point other than the fuel level sensor code which has been there for 2 years as I don't care to drop the tank and change the fuel pump just for my gas gauge to read correctly... Any advice or ideas on what the problem could be are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I lot of times this is due to a faulty cam position sensor or crank position sensor. Often they will begin failing as they get hot if the sensor is going bad. I'm surprised there is no trouble code stored since the CEL was flashing. A flashing CEL indicates a condition exists that may be detrimental to the life of the catalytic converters. These are typically misfire conditions and most of the time they are ignition related. As far as the sensors, it is usually best to stick with genuine Nissan or genuine Hitachi brand sensors, although I have had luck with Standard Motor Parts/Intermotor brand sensors when in a pinch; they are made in Japan. The crank position sensor is usually cheap and can be accessed through the passenger-front wheel well with the wheel removed; it's behind the plastic wheel well liner. The cam position sensors are more expensive and a little trickier. If I remember correctly, the one with the straight plug is the passenger side sensor and the one with the angled plug is the driver side sensor. The sensors are at the back side of the cylinder heads and are held in by a 10MM head bolt. The driver's side isn't too bad. Remove the air intake and engine cover. You'll have to lie over the top of the engine and get your hand back there to remove the bolt. Leave the harness attached to the sensor to pull it up, replace the sensor and use the harness to help get the new sensor in place and not drop it behind the engine. The passenger side is tougher because of the upper intake plenum being in the way. Some people remove it (a good time to replace spark plugs, if you do), but it is doable without removing the plenum if you have the patience and persistence to do so. Also, make sure the ECM relay recall has been done. Also, make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight, as this is the cause of a lot of problems on these vehicles, as well.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:14 PM
2005 Pathfinder

It ended up being the ECM relay. Took a few days for my local dealer to get one in for me, but was a quick easy job to replace and the Path is running perfectly again! Thank you for the response smj999smj!!!!

Tags
fine, pathfinder, rough/runs, stalls/runs