Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Pathfinder accelerating itself Forums > > 2002 Pathfinder accelerating itself 2002 Pathfinder accelerating itself
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-03-2018, 05:36 AM
2002 Pathfinder

Unhappy 2002 Pathfinder accelerating itself

Hello,

I fear it might finally be time to let the Pathfinder go, but it's been such a good car that I thought I'd ask if anyone had any guidance here and maybe there's hope for another couple of years on the road.

2002 Pathfinder, roughly 160K miles. Mostly trouble-free. Had stalling issue 18 months ago that required me to replace the IAC valve (that also fried the ECM, which I had rebuilt by some guys on eBay thanks to this forum!). Nissan also replaced the alternator at that time.

The car was fine for 18 months, and then I needed a jump start. Auto Zone tested the battery, said it was fine, so I took it home. When it happened a week later, we brought it back, and this time they said that the battery was depleted and the alternator failing as well.

Both of those were replaced yesterday and I made 2 uneventful trips. Then yesterday evening, the car started to accelerate itself. The speed limit was 45 mph and I was using only the brake to contain the car enough to get off the road and not hit anyone.

I pulled into a gas station, put the car in park, and it immediately revved to 5000+ RPMs and stayed there until I shut the car off. Started again, still in park, and it was again 5000+ RPMs (not bouncing up and down like when the IAC valve was having issues).

Had the car towed back to the shop that put the alternator in (I'm in a new state now, unfamiliar mechanic). He doesn't know if he'll be able to look at it today and thought that it could be any number of things that he can't narrow until he gets in there. I don't want to spend money on a wild goose chase for a car that might be on its last legs.

You guys have been lifesavers in the past. Any last-ditch thoughts before I have to decide if it's time to give up on her?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Possibly the throttle body is dirty with a lot of varnish and causing the throttle body to stick open. Possibly the accelerator cable is binding inside the cable housing. Possibly the fuel pressure regulator is stuck close and causing the engine to run on full pump pressure...
Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 AM
2002 Pathfinder

Thumbs up

Thanks, it did turn out to be a bound accelerator cable. I appreciate the response.

Tags
accelerating, pathfinder