Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Pathfinder Transmission Failure Forums > > 2008 Pathfinder Transmission Failure 2008 Pathfinder Transmission Failure
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 AM
2008 Pathfinder

Default 2008 Pathfinder Transmission Failure

My apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten to death. My 2008 Pathfinder had the famous coolant in the transmission and vise versa issue. I changed out the rad and flushed out both cooling and transmission to the best of my ability. All seemed well.

Now three weeks later I have a no start issue. My scan tool points to the TCM and the CAN bus only shows .8 volts (should be 2.5 or so) as soon as I unplug the TCM, CAN bus voltage returns to normal.

Do you concur that my issue is a shorted TCM? Is there a way to start the vehicle and limp/move it with the TCM disconnected? Short one of the harness wires to ground to get a start signal? (I know the TCM controls this...)

Thanks,

-RPD
Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Two problems can occur on these TCM/valve body assemblies, one because of cross-contamination and one regardless if contamination is/was an issue. As far as the issue with contamination, sludge can buildup under the TCM and create poor connections or shorts. For those with the ability and patience to do so, the TCM/valve body assembly can be removed, the TCM removed from the valve body and then the sludge can be cleaned out with electrical contact cleaner. Contamination, of course, can also affect the solenoids on the valve body, causing shifting issues, which is fairly common. As far as the issue that occurs regardless of contamination or not, sometimes the pins that complete the circuits between the TCM contacts and the valve body can crack and break. This can occur to any of the pins and create a number of issues and/or codes. The pins can be repaired by soldering. Outside of repair, Dorman has recently released remanufactured TCM/valve body assemblies; these do have to be programmed after installation in order for them to operate the transmission properly. The other concern would be is there still any coolant in the transmission fluid? Once contaminated, it can be really hard to get all of the coolant out and prevent it from causing future issues. This is why Nissan dealers usually recommend transmission replacement; it's really the only way they can guarantee the repair.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:00 PM
2008 Pathfinder

Default Transmission is dying.

Thank you for the info. The no start condition is what is primarily driving my issue. I bought the vehicle cheap knowing that it had coolant in the transmission and the trans had a pretty serious whine. Transmission replacement was inevitable based on the planned purchase. The no start issue occurred about a week after doing the radiator replacement/cooling system flush and transmission fluid flush. I figure if I am going to spend the time and money to replace the TCM, I might as well bite the bullet and replace the entire transmission. I still would be interested to know if there is a pin on the harness to the transmission electrical connector that I can jumper or ground to get the vehicle to crank. I have a no crank condition.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I remember someone doing a workaround for the PNP switch on an R51 Pathfinder a while back but I don't remember too much as far as the details other than they did it at the IPDM in the engine compartment. I believe it was posted at the site, TheNissanPath.com; you might try going there and using their search feature using key word, "PNP" or "no start."

Tags
failure, pathfinder, transmission