Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
99 3.3L stalls after starting. Forums > > 99 3.3L stalls after starting. 99 3.3L stalls after starting.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 AM
1999 Pathfinder

Default 99 3.3L stalls after starting.

I got the vehicle from auction and it ran but with a rough idle. I had to replace the Battery because it would only start with a jump start. At the same time I replaced the Air Filter and now it stalls right after starting. Is there a learning procedure I need to do? Also I noticed yesterday that the #3 cylinder Fuel Injector wire was not connected now I am afraid the Injector may be clogged. I thought that putting the connector back on would help it run smoother but it didn't. Next question, I'm getting Knock Sensor Code and a misfire code that started out as cylinder 3 but now has changed to random misfire. I thought that if I fixed the misfire that the Knock Sensor code would go away. Wishful thinking I guess. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I would put the knock sensor issue on hold in the meantime until you get the stalling issue straightened out. While it is possible that the knock sensor is bad, it won't cause a drivability concern. If it turns out the sensor is faulty, it can be relocated using a 1995 Maxima knock sensor and subharness to the top side of the intake, rather than pull the lower intake manifold to replace it.

Injectors can get clogged or fail on these engines; doing a resistance check of the individual injectors can help identify faulty injectors, but you may want to try a professional fuel injection cleaning service (the kind where the engine is run solely on a solvent placed in a canister that is then pressurized) before this. I would confirm proper fuel pressure, as well. I would check for stored trouble codes. Other possibilities to consider as a cause for stalling on these engines include bad or worn cap/rotor/wires/spark plugs, a bad distributor or even a timing belt that has jumped a tooth. Don't forget about the fuel filter above the rear axle that can often go ignored!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Thanks for the help. I will get that done and re post the results.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Default figured it out 99 Pathfinder stall after starting.

I replaced the plugs, Rotor and Dist. Cap. I kept the wires on as they looked good. I ended up after searching for an answer removing the MAF Sensor connector and started the engine and it idled just fine. I got some cleaner, sprayed down the MAF sensor and reinstalled it. I then noticed an air hose was not connected to the air duct, I connected it and now the engine runs and idles at 700 rpm. Something so simple. Thanks for all your help.
I'm going to clear the codes and see if the knock sensor code goes away. It originally said #3 misfire but that was before i realized that the connector was not connected.

Tags
3.3l, stalls, starting