Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 pathy P1447 Forums > > 97 pathy P1447 97 pathy P1447
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 04:25 PM
1997 Pathfinder

Default 97 pathy P1447

Got this P1447 code, so went through the process. replaced vapor canister and solenoid attached to it. Took out Purge control valve, cleaned charcoal out of it and plugged it back in. The ignition on, I could see it move up and down, so I assume it is good. Took out the little black control canister purge container next to the purge valve, cleaned it out. Next used compressor and blew out evap lines. Reconnected battery and SES light came back next day. I do not have a code reader but would just be guessing its the same code. Any ideas what I should try next? Thank You.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

IF you had charcoal bits all the way up to the purge valve, then it's apparent the old canister liner failed, which you are probably already aware. These incidents are a real pain because just one little piece of carbon left in the system can cause problems. If you are not aware, there is a TSB that gives a specific cleaning procedure for these incidents. Sometimes you have to perform the procedure more than once before you can get all of the charcoal out of the system.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM
1997 Pathfinder

Default code now changed to p0446

I took it back to autozone and the code now is P0446. In my previous post I have already replaced the vapor canister and vent valve. The new ones were a bit different how the vent valve mounted. My old one the valve went into the canister. The new one mounts flush on the canister with an o-ring in between. I used the O-Ring from the old one on the valve and was wondering if that is the problem? Being the canister and vent valve are new it should not be that code. Any ideas? Thank You.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The flush mount was the old style canister; the one that has the valve insert into the canister is the updated style. Either will work, but you have to use the correct style valve with the appropriate canister. It's possible that the seal is the culprit, but the only way to be sure is to pressure test. Probably easier to just get a new seal and replace it. With the valve off, you can make sure there is no debris stuck in it and you can component test it by apply 12v and a ground to the appropriate terminals and try blowing through it (you shouldn't be able to).
Old 03-04-2018, 01:52 PM
1997 Pathfinder

Thanks smj, I replaced the O-ring with the nissan part, but it really was the same. The new valve operates with 12v applied. I bought a new gas cap also just to be sure. I cleared the codes but it always returns on the 2nd start up. Code is still p0446. Anyone have any other ideas or seen this before. Again, vapor canister and vent valve are brand new. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:37 PM
1997 Pathfinder

P0446 evap vent control circuit malfunction your evap system is seeing a flat or a restriction at the purge valve or the vent valve those are most likely to be your culprit but there are other test in my opinion have a mechanic do a Diagnostic to find which component is malfunctioning
Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 PM
1997 Pathfinder

Thanks craig. been working on this problem for a long time got the p0446 code gone by replacing the vacuum cut valve, and cut valve solenoid with their associated hoses. Now have the code p1441, which I believe is a small leak code. I may try a new Nissan OEM fuel cap, or continue to replace hoses and components under the hood related to purge. like control canister purge, purge volume control or purge control solenoid. Spent a fortune already, but dont want that SES light to beat me. I believe we were better off before they added this evap crap to our cars.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 PM
1997 Pathfinder

Well on my 97 Pathfinder I had p1441 small leak and as it turned out my purge valve solenoid in the engine bay was not closing so you can try that but I recommend a smoke test first
Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 AM
1997 Pathfinder

Thanks for the tip Craig, I will try that solenoid part next. These 97's seem to all get the same problems. All of the local places want $100 just for a smoke test. I will save that for a last resort.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 AM
1997 Pathfinder

The valve is on the driver side in the engine bay on top has two hoses one at the tip going to the intake and one on the side going to the small circle canister you’ll need a 12mm to take it off when you do blow through the tip and feel on the side port if you fill air replace it oh and don’t forget to disconnect the electrical port while your taking it off if you see any charcoal fall out any of the lines or the part it’s self you will need to replace the vapor canister and the vent valve that connects to it and also (this would be extremely Necessary) blow out all your lines also check the rubber on the inside of your fuel cap for any cracks or cuts if so replace it

Last edited by Craigakaredd28; 04-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 AM
1997 Pathfinder

Thanks again craig, I was wondering which valve you replaced. That is the one that they call the "purge volume control valve?" It is a stepper motor type valve. I took it apart and cleaned it. It does move when you turn the ignition on, but maybe it is not sealing? Does it have to be OEM or can I just order one from anywhere? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 AM
1997 Pathfinder

I got mines from rock auto part number cvs81

Last edited by Craigakaredd28; 04-15-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
1997 Pathfinder

Thanks again. These evap codes can be a real PIA!
Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 AM
1997 Pathfinder

Well I still have the 1441 evap code which is for a small leak. So far I have replaced all of the folowing
1. Gas cap with new OEM cap
2. Evap canister
3. Evap vent valve
4. Cut bypass valve
5. Cut bypass solenoid and associated hoses
6. Purge volume control valve
7. Fuel tank pressure sensor
8. All related evap hoses I can get to under the truck & under the hood.

I even took it to the local nissan stealership. They could not find anything wrong, yet still charged me a diagnostic fee! They even said they did a smoke test, but I question it was ever done. I was told the ECM may need re-programming, but I do not know how to do that and will not trust nissan. I could get an ECM from a junk yard but not sure if it would match mine. I am about to give up and just drive it, because we do not have emission testing here. I just hate to be beat by a stupid CEL. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

My memory is not as good as it used to be, but I don't recall flashable ECM's being used by Nissan until around the 2000 model year. Even if you did get a junkyard ECM, you may still have to see a dealer or a capable locksmith to get the vehicle started because the key chip memory is stored in the ECM in those years.

Tags
p1447, pathy