Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue Forums > > Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM
2012 Pathfinder

Default Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue

The check engine light came on today on my 2012 Pathfinder(62,000miles). Hooked up the code reader and it read bad Oxygen Sensor. No biggie. A few hours later I go to start it and it sounded like a Sherman tank. It looks like its coming from the lower manifold area(passenger side). Cabin fumes are real bad. Took it to two muffler shops who subtlety expressed that they don't want to touch this with a 10' pole. They were pretty certain that the connection between the cat and the header separated. The part is a small fortune and very labor intensive. The cat/manifold looks like its one piece($$). Both advised that this should be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty 8yr/80,000mi and to take it to the dealer. Can anyone confirm or deny that the dealer would cover something like this. Any others out there with this issue?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Yes, they are correct. You can download the warranty booklet from here: https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Know...ase/links/518/

From the manual:

Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue-capture-png
Attached Thumbnails
Exhaust manifold/catalytic converter issue-capture-png  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
2012 Pathfinder

Thank you very much. As this looks cut and dry, I'll be gearing up for a fight with the dealership because I'm sure they'll put a spin on this.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:46 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
Thank you very much. As this looks cut and dry, I'll be gearing up for a fight with the dealership because I'm sure they'll put a spin on this.
It depends on where the leak is. It is common for the flange on the front exhaust pipe to separate at the weld. In that case the failed part is the front pipe which is not covered by the emissions warranty. I have seen a couple that had broken flanges at the converter but they have been very low mile vehicles. If it is indeed the converter flange you should have no problem getting that fixed under warranty. They pay decent. We don't mind doing those.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
2012 Pathfinder

Well... The exhaust manifold was replaced. On the 6cyl, the manifold and the cat are two parts so getting this done under the federal emissions warranty was out of the question. It cost just under $1400. Less than the quoted $2100. Still a ton of labor and they used an OEM part.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yeah, the labor is high because of the heat shield on the right side. You can't get it off or on in one piece without disconnecting the motor mount and jacking up the engine. I replaced my stock manifolds with Doug Thorley shorty headers. I cut the old heat shield off in pieces to remove it and the header doesn't require a heat shield, so I didn't have to worry about jacking the engine up. The driver's side was a bit easier. The shorty headers are a direct-fit replacement for the stock manifolds, so the stock converters and oxygen sensor all hook up just fine.

Tags
converter, exhaust, issue, manifold/catalytic