Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
98 pathfinder stalls Forums > > 98 pathfinder stalls 98 pathfinder stalls
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Default 98 pathfinder stalls

Hello all,

I recently made the mistake of letting my fuel run too low and went to fill it back to a half tank almost. No problems until I parked for 90 minutes about 35 miles later when I could not fire her up but kept cranking.

Once I got towed home I changed the inline filter which was very clogged. I primed and primed with key on and it would not start until the third day it fired right up.

So I went for a drive and it stalled after about 7 miles as I came off the freeway to a stop, was able to get it running again and then another stall. Seemed to be stalling as I stopped or let off accelerator.

I ordered a denso fuel pump because the Unisia marked one in there looked like the original (nissan symbol).

I'm thinking this is totally unrelated but I'm going to check idle air valve and mass air flow sensor plus vacuum leaks.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
2017 Pathfinder
2017 Pathfinder SV

i've heard fuel pumps lubricate with the gas so running them to empty could damage the pump. Not sure that's your problem but sounds full delivery related.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:45 PM

I took the pump out and jumped it, and it ran fine. Although this seems to be an intermittent problem and hard to replicate at stand still. I probably need to see fuel pressure while driving to know if it's 100%. If it were fuel injectors I'd have rougher idle and not total stall, right?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If you have enough water and/or debris at the bottom of your tank to clog a fuel filter and possibly damage the pump when you run the tank low, you should really consider having the fuel tank cleaned out before you chance ruining another fuel pump.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM

There isn't that much debris, just in the plastic box the pump sits in. It's enough that I can pick out the pieces without draining but I will attempt to drain as well. I think it's the oem pump it says UNISIA with Nissan symbol plastic shield is faded same color as box.

Tags
pathfinder, stalls