Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
As always, the famous death sway repair Forums > > As always, the famous death sway repair As always, the famous death sway repair
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 PM
2002 Pathfinder

Default As always, the famous death sway repair

I doubt that a simple, "broke in" bushing on either side of the vehicle can cause such a violent sway regardless of popular belief. I think it has to do with the braking system. Like one or more of the brake lines in the front end may be clogged, or even more importantly the ABS system and its computer. Anybody follow?

Because I would really like to get to the bottom of this problem without the repair man charging for bushings that he posted on the web as a miricle fix of the problem. When in all actuality its most likely the braking system. Please help because its ruining my SUV and I dont trust the repair guy. I would rather just buy the corrrect parts for the vehicle myself and have them installed...
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yes, rear suspension links can cause these Pathfinders to sway all over the road! It's a common problem and I replaced many of these links when I worked for Nissan. If you have over a 100,000 miles on the original links, I would replace all four (two uppers and two lowers). I never waste my time with just the bushings because you can get brand new Dorman links from Rockauto at a decent price and they have a lifetime warranty. It would also be a good idea to check the condition of the front struts and rear shock absorbers.
One problem often encountered when replacing the links is that the bolts often seize to the steel sleeve of the bushing, requiring them to be cut out with a sawzall. I would recommend getting new bolts from Nissan. Make sure the bolts aren't tightened until the full weight of the vehicle is on the suspension.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:41 PM
1996 Pathfinder

My '96 does this same thing once I get around highway speed in it. It stops swaying immediately upon pressing the brakes. I know for sure I have a trailing arm bushing that needs replaced, and I may have some rear end damage, following a collision a year ago. I'll look into the whole brake thing and the suspension links.

Matt

Tags
death, famous, repair, sway