Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
JDM replacement engine Forums > > JDM replacement engine JDM replacement engine
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2017, 12:10 PM
2003 Pathfinder

Default JDM replacement engine

I recently purchased a jdm motor for my 03 pathfinder. My mechanic moved basically everthing from old engine over to replacement. Basically just used the long block and heads. Everything moved over without incident but cam position sensor. My mechanic had to mill out the spot on the new engine to mount the sensor. We used the old flywheel. The issue is that it will crank but not fire and throws cam pos code. In talking to the company that sold me the engine they suggested bypassing the sensor. My question is how can you safely bypass the sensor? He said to cross the wires on the harness on the ecm end and "trick" the ecm to fire the coils. What do you think? I can't continue to throw money at this engine swap, but I really need it to work...
Old 11-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Since he had to mill out a spot for the sensor, I would wonder if there is even a reluctance gear for the sensor to pick up, meaning, would you also have to replace the camshaft, as well? I'm not sure about the bypassing method; I've never had to do one so I can't say whether it will work or not.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:19 AM
2003 Pathfinder

I was thinking the sensor worked off the oem flywheel... which is why I mentioned it...if it works off reluctor on the crank I may be in trouble...
Old 11-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Crank position sensors will read the reluctance gear on the flywheel or flexplate or on the crank itself; cam position sensors read the reluctance gears on the end of the camshafts.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 AM
2003 Pathfinder

Is the error code different for crank pos sensor and Cam position sensor? May be a dumb question. .. the Jdm engine had a sensor on top front near the timing cover according to my mechanic. The original equipment engine had a plug in that spot. Do you know which sensor that would have been?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 AM
2003 Pathfinder

The oem sensor mounted next to the fly wheel has 3 wires, the JDM engine sensor next to the timing cover had only 2.... if that's significant
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yes, cam pos sensor codes and crank pos sensor codes are different. If my memory is correct, there are two crank position sensor, one is a "phase" sensor. One will be near the crank pulley and the other at the back of the engine. You also have several cam sensors. You have two cam sensors on the cover, if I remember correctly, and two located just past the rear timing cover for the variable valve timing control. I don't know if a 3-wire cranks sensor will drop in place of a 2-wire? I haven't done any JDM VQ swaps.

Tags
engine, jdm, replacement