Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1995 check engine light comes on intermittently Forums > > 1995 check engine light comes on intermittently 1995 check engine light comes on intermittently
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
1995 Pathfinder
1995 Pathfinder

Default 1995 check engine light comes on intermittently

Just got a '95 4-WD pathfinder and took it from the Tahoe area (home) to southern CA to give it a test run. Have had it since June and it was not running at the time I bought it. About 10 hours into the drive the check engine light went on so we pulled over, car never over heated, no low fluids, no dripping anything (even now in the driveway) no smells, no exhaust smoke or different smell. Engine ran smooth, no misfires, air filter is clean, gas mileage on the trip, which was mostly freeway was about 3 mpg better then here along highway 50. It went up and over the grapevine on I-5 with no issues. The light goes on and off intermittently, it's not on permanently and on the 7 hour practice drive home it didn't come on until the last hour of the drive. At the end it seemed to run rough in idle, but if I stepped on the gas it went without hesitation, I am changing the fuel filter and put fuel injection cleaner in it, but have done nothing else.

Because this is a '95 they can't use a computer to diagnose it with the machine, but I have to at least get an idea where to look, any suggestions?

Last edited by Philter4; 10-17-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter4 View Post
Because this is a '95 they can't use a computer to diagnose it with the machine,

I'm not sure what you mean they cannot use a computer to diagnose. For starter, some 1995 models were already OBD I compliant though it was mandatory for 1996 models. The Nissan dealer should have the Scan Tool to make diagnoses. Or you can choose to go to an independent shop who has a Oscilloscope equipment.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM
1995 Pathfinder
1995 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean they cannot use a computer to diagnose. For starter, some 1995 models were already OBD I compliant though it was mandatory for 1996 models. The Nissan dealer should have the Scan Tool to make diagnoses. Or you can choose to go to an independent shop who has a Oscilloscope equipment.
It has the connections for the OBD 1, but it isn't the same as an OBD 2, so no one will do it without charging $120-$125. I would not necessarily mind paying the money except I was hoping to fix it myself, so far I have done all of the work on it mupyself and I don't really want anyone else to fix it. I suppose I could pay to get the diagnosis and then just fix it.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There was no "scan tool" for this vehicle. It was a Kent-Moore checker box that had a red and green LED and a toggle switch on it, which a lot of Nissan dealers probably don't have anymore (I own one). If you don't have a scan tool, you can access the codes by using the red and green LEDs on the ECM under the passenger seat. It'll have a toggle switch for 2-mode ECM or a mode screw for a 5-mode ECM. If you want instructions on how to do this, go here:

Nissan – TroubleCodes.net
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM
2002 Pathfinder

I got a Blue Tooth dongle from Amazon and an android app called Torque (the lite version which is free) and it connected right away to my OBD Pathfinder and I was able to do all the cool OBD things that one might want to do.

No special anything; totally generic setup. The dongle was like $20 as I recall
Old 12-03-2017, 11:39 AM
1995 Pathfinder
1995 Pathfinder

Is actually did the same thing, it was a bad O2 sensor, replaced it, no more check engine light!

Tags
check, engine, intermittently, light