Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Pathfinder SE Manual Speedometer Cluster Forums > > 2000 Pathfinder SE Manual Speedometer Cluster 2000 Pathfinder SE Manual Speedometer Cluster
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 12:56 PM
2000 Pathfinder

Default 2000 Pathfinder SE Manual Speedometer Cluster

Hi Everyone:

Costa Rican Redhead here.....Got a few Qs I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1). I am in need of buying a used Speedometer cluster for 2000 Pathy SE 4x4 Manual.

Found one on Ebay but it says fits Automatic. Also, it is MPH.

I bought the car in Costa Rica and thus everything is in KPH.

Q: I can Purchase this one on EBAY even though it is for an Automatic and MPH? I THINK I only need the piece in the back that controls the speedometer needle, as mine is broken ( It shows I am going 60KPH when the car is standing still sort of problem). Thus this would allow me to keep my miles intact (need that to pass yearly inspection). Hubby thinks this will be ok.

Can anyone forsee any problems with this purchase part wise?

2).. Does anyone have an actual photo or a link to an actual 2000 instrument panel photo (but the REVERSE side)? That way I can see the actual parts?

3). If so, can you also tell me which part I need to identify for this problem of mine?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It sounds like you have a broken speedometer head in your cluster. Personally, I don't think the US version will work. For starters, the speedometer head is specifically calibrated in your vehicle for kilometers and for the tire size of the vehicle. There were four different speedometer head options in the US just for the 2000 Pathfinder. SE speedo heads were a different part # than XE and LE trims. I don't think auto vs. manual trans nor 2WD vs. 4WD makes any difference.
There are companies that repair clusters, but I'm not sure if they deal with overseas customers. You can always contact them and ask. These are a couple of the reputable ones in the USA:

Speedometer Repair | Instrument Cluster Repair | Odometer Repair | Mr. Whizard

https://circuitboardmedics.com/
Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Default Speedo Gear/Speed Sensor

Thanks smj999smj:

Another Q:

My Son who has worked extensively on cars says that all I really need to replace is the Speedo gear/Speed Sensor. I have attached a pic he sent me. He says this will fix the stuck and faulty speed gauge without interfering with the actual Odometer reading. And the part is non-specific to Auto or Manual trannys. One bolt removal and replace and we are done.

I should mention that all the other gauges work perfectly fine. It's just the speedo.

Your thoughts? (Link to photo is below)

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/attac...o-gear-jpg.att
Attached Thumbnails
2000 Pathfinder SE Manual Speedometer Cluster-2000-pathfinder-speedo-gear-jpg  

Last edited by famousredhead; 07-31-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Usually when the speedo gear or pinion breaks, the speedometer needle will stay at 0 MPH or 0 KPH, as applies. Since you stated that when you are sitting, the speedo is reading 60 KPH, it sounds more like the speedo head unit is broken rather than a faulty pinion assy.
Now, lets say you could drive the vehicle but the speedo needle always stated at 0 KPH, then it could be possible that either the pinion assy. or it's gear were broken...OR...the speedo head was broken. In that case, you would have to confirm that a signal was getting to the back of the cluster from the pinion assy. The pinion is essentially an AC voltage generator. The faster you drive, the higher AC voltage is created, usually equal to about 1-volt (AC) per 10 MPH. The voltage signal is best measured at the back of the cluster using a simple oscilloscope, this way the wave pattern of the signal can be viewed for breaks (as in an intermittent or broken signal) as well as for increase and decrease in voltage compared to speed.
If you really think that the speedo pinion is your problem rather than the cluster, you could always support the drive wheels, unplug the speedo pinion and attach a multimeter to the two pins of the pinion assy. Then in AC voltage mode, measure the output voltage while someone sits in the vehicle with the transmission in a drive gear and operates the gas pedal. It's not as accurate as an oscilliscope, but the multimeter will at least show that the pinion is generating a voltage.

Tags
2000, cluster, manual, pathfinder, speedometer