Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2013 Nissan Pathfinder/ AC blows warm air Forums > > 2013 Nissan Pathfinder/ AC blows warm air 2013 Nissan Pathfinder/ AC blows warm air
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
2013 Pathfinder

Default 2013 Nissan Pathfinder/ AC blows warm air

Earlier this week I was driving my 2013 Pathfinder back home on the highway (hot day) AC was working just fine until it just quit working while we were driving. We have made sure it has enough refrigerant, there are no blown fuses, and the inside display works fine. I took it to Firestone to get checked and I was quoted 1,500 to fix the problem. They said the compressor clutch isn't engaging and I'd need a new ac compressor/clutch. Another thing of note that I'd like to add is that I have 3 small kids who ride in the backseat-so we use the rear ac control often. Before the ac went out entirely I noticed that the rear ac would run hot for awhile until finally it would switch over to cold, even while the front still worked normally. So I'm kind of wondering is this really a clutch issue or a different issue and the Firestone guys got it wrong.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

I've read before that on Altimas of prior generation they had a defective AC compressor clutch and it was possible to replace clutch only, not entire compressor (with all additional trouble to flushing the system).

Looks like similar thing is available for Pathfinder: A/C Compressor CLUTCH KIT for (Nissan Quest 2011-2015); (Pathfinder 2013-2015) | eBay
Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveyNes View Post
I took it to Firestone to get checked and I was quoted 1,500 to fix the problem. They said the compressor clutch isn't engaging and I'd need a new ac compressor/clutch.
When AC is not working, leave on the AC and engine, and you should be able to visually see if the CENTER of the AC compressor is turning or not.

If not - and be careful, this is potentially dangerous because of belts/fans, etc., the center can be tapped with a long piece of wood to see if that causes it to engage; sometimes the "gap" can just be adjusted to a smaller gap by removing a spacer shim.

And if there is clearance for working, just a compressor clutch can be swapped (like on my '88 Mazda truck).

I'd say an independent repair shop (not a Firestone or a Brake-O, etc.) would be better.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:00 AM
2013 Pathfinder

Thanks everyone, I went ahead and ordered a replacement clutch and the part should arrive in a few days. I'm going to find a mechanic to do the work for me. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:43 PM
2013 Pathfinder

I just wanted to update everyone on how my car turned out, I went ahead and ordered the replacement clutch and hired an independent mechanic to do the work for me. It turned out that it was indeed a bad clutch, the mechanic showed me where the clutch had gone bad and the new one engaged the compressor. Once it was back up and running we were able to recharge the system with freon because we previously couldn't. So now my 3 kids and I have cold air in our car!!! The best part is that we only spend $280 for the part off amazon and then for paying the mechanic. Thank you all for replying and helping me out, i appreciate it tremendously.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

Congrats wth happy end of your quest and thanks for posting your "final scorecard".
Not everybody posts back the solution to the problem they raise :(
Old 07-23-2018, 07:51 PM
2013 Pathfinder

Had the same thing happen to me. I replaced the whole compressor and it seemed all good. A week later and my ac is gone again. Wtf.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:24 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlabo112282 View Post
Had the same thing happen to me. I replaced the whole compressor and it seemed all good. A week later and my ac is gone again. Wtf.
Check for a leak at the rear a/c lines. They usually leak near the right rear wheel at the connection that goes up to the rear evaporator .
Old 07-29-2018, 12:47 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Compressor clutch failures seem to be a much more common issue that they used to be with Nissan. The coils assembly, which is the electro-magnet which causes the clutch to engage, tends to be the main cause of failures. I've had mine fail on my 2006 Pathfinder and have heard of a number of them failing on other VQ40DE engines, as well as on Altimas, Maximas and Quests.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:30 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Compressor clutch failures seem to be a much more common issue that they used to be with Nissan. The coils assembly, which is the electro-magnet which causes the clutch to engage, tends to be the main cause of failures. I've had mine fail on my 2006 Pathfinder and have heard of a number of them failing on other VQ40DE engines, as well as on Altimas, Maximas and Quests.
In the past 4 weeks we did about 6 compressors and 5 sets of rear lines.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM
2014 Pathfinder

I have a 2013 pathfinder and it just happened today. I have the extended warranty. Does anyone know if the warranty will cover this?

Tags
2013, air, blows, nissan, pathfinder, pathfinder or, warm