Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P0420 / p0430 Forums > > P0420 / p0430 P0420 / p0430
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Default P0420 / p0430

Hi All,

My 05 Pathfinder with +250km's has been returning the P0420 & P0430 codes for a while now, from the research I've done I need to replace the catalytic convert(s).

I have also ready the codes could be related to vacuum or intake leak. I am noticing that the engine is consuming coolant ( no obvious leaks ).

The vehicle runs well otherwise, does anyone have suggestions or common issues with a 05 high mileage Pathfinder?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's not uncommon to have to replace the upstream catalytic converters on these vehicles as they get in the 100,000 mile range as they become inefficient. The left bank on my 06 Pathy was replaced at 84,000 miles and the right bank at 150,000 miles. The left was replaced by the dealer before I got it and I replaced the right side with a Walker brand converter. I would try and tackle the coolant loss issue, first, though. Make sure the coolant isn't leaking into the transmission fluid via the cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator, as this is a known failure of the original, factory radiators. If it is, you'll see white streaks or a pink custard on your ATF dipstick. Usually transmission problems are not far down the road after this occurs. Other common areas for coolant leaks are the metal lines that run under the truck to the rear heating/cooling unit, as well as the plastic heater valve assembly at the firewall.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks! I have already dealt with the Transmission / Rad leak issue - Rebuild Transmission and they bypassed the in rad cooler...$$$$'s later.

I have been pricing the Walker cats, but as you indicated I would like to find the coolant leak first.... thanks for the pointers! Thing is I am not seeing an obvious signs of fluid loss, no puddles or wet areas that's why I was thinking it getting consumed somehow.

Last edited by ebud; 03-01-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:19 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If you are experiencing coolant loss with no visible external signs, it means coolant is leaking internally. I suggest you sent for oil analysis to determine if engine oil and coolant had mixed which means a failing head gasket. This is usually in early stages so you won't experience performance issue. It is a very efficient, inexpensive diagnostic tool without the need for engine teardown. Just google oil analyzer and you will get a host of service provider.

Tags
p0420, p0430