Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
is my engine doomed? Forums > > is my engine doomed? is my engine doomed?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder

Default is my engine doomed?

had a mech did an inspection of my 01 pathy, he said there's clunking sound coming from engine, which is usually big issues and advised me to get rid of it sooner than later.

is it pretty much doomed? uploaded couple of videos on youtube here.

video of engine bottom
https://youtu.be/k4ciXwqXKUU

video of engine bay
https://youtu.be/jDriCptH5hk

thanks in advance.

PS, if it's indeed a rod knock, can I drain oil, then put in 2 qts of 10W-40 and 2qts of 85W Gear oil as temp. fix ?

Last edited by pathfinder20; 02-24-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

That sure does NOT sound like a rod knock to me !!! Engine rod knock is terrible clanking sound, you'd run away if you heard that.

If mine, out of curiosity, I'd pull the drive belts and run like 30 seconds to see if the noise disappeared.

I wouldn't just ditch it as it sounds now.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
That sure does NOT sound like a rod knock to me !!! Engine rod knock is terrible clanking sound, you'd run away if you heard that.

If mine, out of curiosity, I'd pull the drive belts and run like 30 seconds to see if the noise disappeared.

I wouldn't just ditch it as it sounds now.
i drained the oil, saw some fine shiny particles (like dust size), is this normal? car has only 68k miles but service history unknown.

going to add some 10w-40 plus stp treatment and see how it goes.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Ha!! In 2003 Mrs. Cusser was driving my 1971 VW one night and apparently a 6mm oil stud vibrated out of its original engine, red light came on, pressure gauge dropped to zero, she ignored those and kept driving until it stalled out.

Amazingly, engine was not seized up, started right up with a new stud in there. I did find bearing slivers on the oil screen, not good. Guess what, we still drove that engine an additional 3 years, then I just swapped in an 1835cc engine that I had that was just sitting. So that engine still wasn't dead even then.

So last fall I finally tore down that engine, found bearing wear on #2 main bearing, other stuff looked pretty good for running a few miles with zero oil. So let's just say that if your engine is wearing prematurely, not much that can be done. Try as per your plan and just keep an eye on it.

Tags
doomed, engine