Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
coolant spewing out of recovery tank Forums > > coolant spewing out of recovery tank coolant spewing out of recovery tank
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Pathfinder

Default coolant spewing out of recovery tank

Hi guys,
I had a problem with loss of antifreeze occasionally on my 2007 Pathfinder. The radiator was low, I would have to add a quart and a half once a week, then it would be good for weeks. Then, while driving on Friday, I notice the engine was starting to get very hot and coolant was coming out through the coolant recovery tank opening.
I had to fill the radiator 3 times for what is normally a 25 minute ride home.
As soon as the engine warms up, the coolant spews out of the recovery tank. Yesterday, I changed the thermostat, replaced both radiator and recovery tank caps, replaced the coolant, vented any air and ran the truck in the driveway for 45 minutes without any problem. Today, I took a 10 minute ride to the store and the problem is back. Coolant spewing out of the opening when the engine gets warmed up. I tested the thermostat I removed yesterday in a pot of boiling water and it opened normally, so it probably wasn't the stat at all. When I race the engine, with the radiator cap removed, Coolant sprays out of the radiator, so that means the water pump is good, right? The radiator was cleaned out 2 years ago. The radiator fan comes on. My friend checked the fan clutch and it is good. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
P.S. Someone just mentioned to me that there might be two thermostats in a 2007 Pathfinder. The one I changed was the trapezoid shaped one at the end of the lower radiator hose. I looked, where the hell could the other one be?!?!

Last edited by EMARK; 10-02-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

one of the two caps (radiator & recovery tank) is spring loaded
which of the two do you have the spring loaded cap on?
are the caps OEM or aftermarket?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

2005-2010 Pathfinders and Frontiers with V6 engines and automatic transmissions have a know defect in the radiator, where ATF mixes with coolant and trashes both engine and transmission, wonderful ! Your issue may be separate from that.

How was fan clutch checked?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Pathfinder

Dryart, The radiator caps are not the original. Neither one is spring loaded. I do know that the radiator opening is just for adding water and coolant. The recovery tank is the one that is actually under pressure. Please know that I was driving for months with non spring caps and I got through the summer without a problem. This engine running hot started a couple of weeks ago, (it was an intermittent problem) and the spewing from the recovery tank just started this past Friday.
I have a friend who is a mechanic. He said that it's possible the recovery tank could be damaged from repeated overheating and suggests I change it. This truck did have head gasket problems a couple of years ago and the engine was changed back then. I ordered another tank which is coming from a wreck, so it should be good. What do you think?
Cusser, my mechanic friend told me the fan clutch was good. Don't know exactly what he did. I know that I am getting strong air flow across the radiator. The suction is strong enough to hold a big piece of cardboard up against the a/c condenser coil. Eight thousand miles before the head gasket/engine problem, I did have the transmission fail due to the situation you mentioned. Nissan did not admit there was a problem and offered to split the cost of a new transmission with me. So kind and generous of them! (NOT!) That cost me $3500.00 and left me with a very poor opinion of Nissan.

Last edited by EMARK; 10-03-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: add a fact
Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Where exactly is the coolant spewing from?
EMARK, at this point, I'd pressure check the cooling system.
That would probably pinpoint the problem without all the guesswork.
The recovery tank may be fine.
I'm also suspicious of aftermarket caps, and the one for the recovery tank should be spring loaded, as it is designed to release the pressure should it exceed a pre-determined level.
BTW: as Cusser asked, how was the fan clutch checked?

Last edited by dryart; 10-03-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Pathfinder

Like I mentioned, a friend said he checked it. How would I check it myself? What does one do? The coolant is spraying out of the little vent opening at the top of the recovery tank. The cooling system was pressure tested last Wednesday, five days ago. It was brought up to 17 pounds and was good. A co-worker/friend who had 10 years experience as a Nissan tech did it. He just talked with me on the phone a few minutes ago and said I should recheck the fan clutch.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If the fan clutch is the issue, it will overheat at idle and slow speeds. If it is overheating at highway speeds, it's likely not a fan clutch issue. Head gasket failures aren't common on VQ engines, but, they are also not unheard of. A restrictive radiator could also cause these issue.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Pathfinder

Checked for a bad head gasket. Already experienced that once on this truck. Fortunately, the head gasket is good. I'm going to check the fan clutch tomorrow after work. Will let you know what I find. By the way, the radiator was replaced two years ago when the transmission was done, so it is not likely that.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

All the fan shrouds are in place, correct?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Remove rad cap and start engine. Go back to watch coolant smoothly circulating if water pump is fully functioning. If you see coolant seem stagnant you might have a failing W/P issue.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If you remove the radiator cap and start the engine, you better make sure the reservoir cap is not installed or you are going to have a huge mess! The reservoir cap is the pressure cap on this system; it's not like the 2004-and-earlier models.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

My suggestion is from a cold start. DON'T EVER REMOVE RADIATOR CAP WHEN ENGINE IS HOT. Hence that warning is stamp on the cap. It takes about 3-4 minutes for engine to warm up or reach "NOT" (normal operating temperature). For bigger engines a little longer. You will only gonna watch 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to watch and determine if coolant is circulating. You can tell when engine is getting hot cuz coolant starts to rise and you can replace the cap.

Tags
coolant, recovery, spewing, tank