Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
06 Pathfinder w/ 106k - timing chain and paint issues Forums > > 06 Pathfinder w/ 106k - timing chain and paint issues 06 Pathfinder w/ 106k - timing chain and paint issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: If this was your Pathfinder, what would you do?
Keep and run on luck without changing the timing belt 1 100.00%
Keep and change the timing belt 0 0%
Sell as fast as I can 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Default 06 Pathfinder w/ 106k - timing chain and paint issues

I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 106k miles. This is my third Pathfinder. My 95' protected me in an awful wreck. My '97 purred until I sold it with 191k miles. Several issues that are making me think twice about keeping my '06 long-term:

1. Timing Chain: Local dealership (State Line Nissan) in Kansas City told me that the timing chain needs to be replaced at an estimated cost of $2,500. Yikes. I'd expect to have this problem with a timing belt but didn't expect to change the timing chain for another 100k. I've bought 2 cars and had my oil changed regularly at the dealership and had other minor service done there. Is this quote high? Should I be anticipating more problems with this Pathfinder?

2. Paint is starting to peel around the windshield, edges of the hood, and the gutters on top. I've seen this same issue with other Pathfinders. When i asked the dealership about it they said to call Nissan. They didn't offer any help. I thought the dealership would be more helpful in getting this taken care of. Is Nissan or any dealers helping owners with this issue?

I don't like the new Pathfinder body style and am considering giving up on this Pathfinder and going with another vehicle. KBB private party value is a bit over $8k in good condition and $7,500 in fair condition. Any thoughts on whether this is a keeper it's time to get another vehicle?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
1. Timing Chain
Why? is making noise? BTW is a timing chain and not a belt and it shouldn't need to be replace, unless is making noise or any other defective.

Quote:
Is Nissan or any dealers helping owners with this issue?
They do help, you should call Nissan Consumer Affairs. (1-800 647-7261)
Old 04-05-2016, 10:13 AM
2006 Pathfinder

1. Per the dealership it is making "the noise" that indicates timing chain issues.

2. I'll try calling Nissan. Any idea what kind of help they are offering? I have no idea if this would involve a total paint job or just those areas affected.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

1. OK, you should ask Nissan for help on that repair as well.

2. Usually they pay for a portion of the repair. If you have a body shop estimate, they could pay for a portion of the job.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Any thoughts on whether the 2006 Pathfinder is a solid 200k mile vehicle with minimal problems or should I be looking at other options?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xpathfinder View Post
I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 106k miles. This is my third Pathfinder. My 95' protected me in an awful wreck. My '97 purred until I sold it with 191k miles. Several issues that are making me think twice about keeping my '06 long-term:

1. Timing Chain: Local dealership (State Line Nissan) in Kansas City told me that the timing chain needs to be replaced at an estimated cost of $2,500. Yikes. I'd expect to have this problem with a timing belt but didn't expect to change the timing chain for another 100k. I've bought 2 cars and had my oil changed regularly at the dealership and had other minor service done there. Is this quote high? Should I be anticipating more problems with this Pathfinder?

2. Paint is starting to peel around the windshield, edges of the hood, and the gutters on top. I've seen this same issue with other Pathfinders. When i asked the dealership about it they said to call Nissan. They didn't offer any help. I thought the dealership would be more helpful in getting this taken care of. Is Nissan or any dealers helping owners with this issue?

I don't like the new Pathfinder body style and am considering giving up on this Pathfinder and going with another vehicle. KBB private party value is a bit over $8k in good condition and $7,500 in fair condition. Any thoughts on whether this is a keeper it's time to get another vehicle?
I don't know about the paint, but you need to pin down this timing chain recommendation.
First off, these engines do sometimes have issues with the timing chain tensioners, causing excessive noise from the tensioners and eventually, the chain.
Do you hear the noise, or is it something they drummed up as a recommendation?
Secondly, the price for that repair seems to hover around the $1700.00 figure.
A dealership will no doubt charge more than that.
I'd definitely recommend verifying this as a problem before making any decision.
How long have you had this Pathfinder?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 PM
2006 Pathfinder

I have had this pathfinder for almost 7 years.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
I have had this pathfinder for almost 7 years.
well, you must be quite familiar with how it should sound by now
is it making any unusual noise?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Thank you for the feedback/questions. It's greatly appreciated!

For quite a while, it's had a whine type noise when the vehicle starts. I thought it was a loose belt but that was already checked out. I don't doubt that there is a timing chain/tensioner issue.

Talked with a reputable body shop yesterday that the Nissan dealer recommended and had them look at the paint issue. According to the body shop, it's similar to an issue that he'd seen several times with other manufacturers. Typically isolated to certain paint colors and parts of the vehicle, the prep and base layer was not done correctly, paint peels, later starts to rust. Other manufacturers had paid for a recall.

I talked with Nissan yesterday and am providing them quotes for both the timing chain and paint job. The pain job was quoted at $4,800. So, $4,800 + $1,700 = $6,500. Since the car is worth less than $10k, makes no sense to do this on my dime. I'll let everyone know how Nissan responds.

I get that the vehicle is 10 years old and has 100k miles but these are issues are not the result of normal wear and tear. These appear to be manufacturer defects.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Nissan returned my call today. I was impressed that they called me only a day after filing the complaint. Unfortunately, no good news. The feedback is this isn't their problem. Even though this is my third Pathfinder and I've regularly had the last two serviced at a Nissan dealership for 7 years they won't due anything. Here is the message I'm sharing:

Rant against Nissan and State Line Nissan in Kansas City. Apparently neither company stand by their products or their long-time customers. Nissan is refusing to remedy a paint defect that has led to my Pathfinder's paint peeling away. It's an issue I've seen with similar aged Pathfinders around town and will likely result in rust developing prematurely if a $4k paint job isn't done. Nissan is also refusing to remedy a major repair that a quick google search reveals is a common defect that occurs well-before it should. Per Nissan, unless the Department of Transportation requires them to remedy these issues they will not do anything to assist. It is my third Pathfinder and the last Nissan product I'll purchase.

I've bought two of those Pathfinders from State Line Nissan and regularly had my car serviced there for 7 years. The dealership offered a 10% discount to an inflated repair estimate (30% above the going rate). No assistance with the paint issue since they don't have a body shop. Essentially, they won't acknowledge manufacturer defects and wouldn't assist with talking to Nissan. They told me that only the customer can complain to Nissan - yeah right.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Nissan returned my call today.
Well, at least they called you back pretty quick.
That's pretty much what I expected their response would be.
I think it's very rare for them to cut loose with any goodwill consideration.
Unfortunate because according to similar complaints as yours, they are losing customers and potential future sales.
The radiator debacle is another example of their lack of customer consideration.
What are you going to do?
Old 05-20-2016, 05:22 PM
2006 Pathfinder
2004 Maxima

Angry

same boat here timing chain issue called nissan for hardship assistance got nowhere after owning 6 of their cars this will be the last one .

Tags
106k, chain, issues, paint, pathfinder, timing, w or