Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Bad Drivers Side Cat Forums > > Bad Drivers Side Cat Bad Drivers Side Cat
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default Bad Drivers Side Cat

I know this might be a dumb question but I need to know. Do I need all four cat's on my 05 Pathy? I have a messed up drivers side cat and when I went to RockAuto for a price quote I noticed there are two per side. What can I do in the mean time until i can purchase a new cat?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

No, you just need to replace just the bad one. You could try clearing the code and use high octane gas for a couple of weeks. If the cat is not totally damage, sometimes that that helps.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM
2005 Pathfinder

I've also read using carb cleaner might help clean out all the junk in there. What should I do for a quick fix before I replace it?

Another question, is the three way catalyst the same thing as the catalytic converter?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:35 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There are three way catalyst and two way catalyst and both are catalytic converters. Three ways are usually used in the front and two ways are used in the back.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
What should I do for a quick fix before I replace it?
Unfortunately there is not a quick fix, other than replacing the cat.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Is replacing a cat hard? I am not a mechanic but what I see is five bolts to take off and swap the part. Is it as simple as that or no?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Recently I replaced my right side, front converter, and it was pretty easy, but a lot of that was because I have shorty headers instead of the factory manifolds and heat shields. It's the heat shields that are the biggest pain in the butt as the attaching bolts will usually break when you try to remove them from the factory manifolds. Some get around this by trimming away the bottom of the heat shield to access the bolts. In order to replace the front converter, you have to remove the front pipe/rear converter assy.; you can remove the rear O2 sensor and let it hang or unplug it and remove it with the pipe. Then, remove the front mud flap (four screws) and the plastic, inner fender liner (four plastic clips and five or six screws), which gives you lot of access to the top of the converter. Once you figure out what you are going to do with the head shield to get it out of the way of the bolts and after you remove the front, O2 sensor, you have one bolt and two nuts to remove (one you can access from under the vehicle) and the converter can slide out through the bottom. Reverse to install and use new gaskets, of course. I wouldn't say it's an "easy" job, but better than some that I've done on other vehicles.

Tags
bad, cat, drivers, side