Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Pathfinder ECU went haywire . Forums > > 2001 Pathfinder ECU went haywire . 2001 Pathfinder ECU went haywire .
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 PM
2001 Pathfinder
1999 Frontier

Default 2001 Pathfinder ECU went haywire .

good day everyone,
we have a 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5 L V 6 4x4 , the car has been a sleep over 4 yrs in my GF's daughter's yard , keys where lost , and my GF found a locksmith who claimed was able to forge her new keys and program them to her Betsy ( i nick named her Nissan Betsy ) , so the time came to wake up ol Betsy , only problem was : as soon as the locksmith guy came to the part where he was about to program the key to the ECU ? the entire vehicle went on lock mode , power went dead , doors locked and he claimed something was not right
i replied no kidding , you pissed ol Betsy , I found according to Nissan its ECU and ECM uses CAN BUS drive , with Consult II class programmer by ASIST PC software . i am asking today if anyone can help me on this matter .
my question lies if he may used wrong BUS ( DATA BUS ) programming ? and he was using his Jumper cables to power feed ol Betsy ( in which i was skeptical ) and wanted to install new battery rather .
thanks in advance .
may the gods enlighten us all and thank them for bringing Nissan in to this world
Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Does the engine crank at all? Are there any engine codes?

If the engine cranks and the battery is OK, then you could try get the system out of "Lock Mode". here are the instructions:

ESCAPE FROM LOCK MODE
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Turn ignition switch ON with registered key. (Do not start engine.) Wait 5 seconds.
3. Return the key to OFF position.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of three cycles).
5. Start the engine.

Read more: P1610 NISSAN Lock Mode | AutoCodes
Old 03-14-2016, 04:29 PM
2001 Pathfinder
1999 Frontier

thanks for the reply
the vehicle did not crank , although it showed power restoration in its instrument and lights at first after making the new keys with provided codes , it did fit the ignition switch and turned , when he tried to crank it ? all the power was draining some how ( while the vehicle was at jump start connection still ) and then when he started the programmer ? and it indicated to turn on the key to ON ( but not start position ) so it start programming the key to the ECM / ECU , it was then the poor ol Betsy went total lock down ( no lights , no power , doors got locked , just dead .
I am thinking it rejected his programmer machine can that be it ?
because i have never experienced anything like that nor did he as he claimed : he was 5 mins away from programming it and finish .
the original keys where lost , so we were trying to forge new keys and program them to the Immu and ECU.

Last edited by Annunaki; 03-14-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: new information
Old 03-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
I am thinking it rejected his programmer machine can that be it ?
I would start by checking the battery terminals. Disconnect the terminals and clean inside. If the problem persist, check the ground cable from the battery to body, that's the only thing I can think that can caused what you described. If the ECM is damage or even disconnected, the dash light should still turn ON.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:37 PM
2001 Pathfinder
1999 Frontier

interesting , thank you very much , I will go a head an do that and will come back with my discoveries and share new Information. thanks again .

Tags
2001, ecu, haywire, pathfinder